Sign in to follow this  
jleamont

Air Brake Coach Without Air Dryer?

I just purchased a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial with an ISL Cummins.

Upon doing a full service I noticed I do not have an air dryer, is this normal?

All of the air tanks have heated automatic water purge valves and there was no water in the tanks so they work but I thought it was strange not to see an air dryer. Being in the truck service industry I usually don't see an air system this complex without a dryer.

Any thoughts?

I would agree-- would certainly have one on any coach with air suspension and air brakes. Oil and water need to be removed before going to those complex systems.

Assume you have traced the output line from the engine driven compressor and it goes directly to the tank with no dryer between.

Have you verified with Monaco that you coach (VIN) should not have come with a dryer)-- yes a different question than physically verifying that yours does not have one.

Monaco Technical: 877-466-6226

I have a call into Monaco waiting for a return call, when I spoke to them I had no VIN number to provide, so I called them back with it and left a message. They told me they were under the assumption they were all equipped with a dryer and the rep told me where to find it, there was no way it would fit where he pointed me to look, my lower radiator hose is routed there and there is no marking anywhere to indicate it ever had one, nor would one fit. I researched the on-line brochures and they spell out the air system, no mention of a dryer.

If it never had it should I let it go, or add it to the system? You know the old saying "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

I know my coach is a few younger than your but I let you know where I found mine. It was behind the AC condenser on the left side behind the rear wheel. The AC panel unlatches with a barrel key with the first panel flipping up and the next condenser swinging out with fan motor after you unlock it with the barrel key. Behind it I found the air dryer, fuel water separator and the jacks pump, reservoir with relays.

Huffypuff,

My 2008 Ambassador has the same set-up as yours. Does our system automatically dump the water or do we have to purge the system manually? Also the same question with the fuel water separator.

Thanks,

I spoke to Monaco, they cannot tell me what if any it was equipped with when it was built, No help. Usually you have to manually drain your tanks, (D.O.T says daily) but I guess where you are traveling would impact that. Someone installed heated automatic drains on my coach and they seem to work fine, I am still going to purchase a dryer and install it, the less I have to worry about the happier our trips will be.

Fuel separator I would drain at every oil change interval (if more than once a year) or just replace the filters annually.

Draining and/or replacing the filter in the fuel separator (better known as the PRIMARY FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR) is one of those things for which there is no "standard answer" in terms of service interval.

If it only sees clean fuel, it could go a million miles.

One tank of contaminated fuel could clog several filters in just a few miles.

Hopefully, your primary filter/water separator has a clear bowl/bottom. If so, there is no need to open the drain, ever unless you see dirt or water. A good idea to check it visually the next time you stop after filling up. Again 1-2 seconds is all it takes.

Be sure to carry at least two sets of fuel filters-- even if you can not change them, you can always find someone with the skill to do so, but late some night, or on a Sunday morning or in the middle of nowhere, you may not be able to find the correct filters.

Found it, it is not purging and it was tucked up near the right rear wheel up high, funny, all of the space under the coach they thought that was a good place to mount it. Now I have to break out my air brake diagnostic book and start figuring out why.

Huffypuff,

My 2008 Ambassador has the same set-up as yours. Does our system automatically dump the water or do we have to purge the system manually? Also the same question with the fuel water separator.

Thanks,

When the air tanks fill up it expels air at the bottom of the valve that the dryer filter screws on to when the tanks reach full. I guess if there is excess moisture you will see vapors. Another way to tell is open one of your drain valves and see if there is a mist coming out of it. For some reason I have 2 drains up front one with a hose fitting on it and one in the rear I supposed for toad brakes. The fuel water separator has a non removable warning sensor at the bottom so you don't drain it. If you got water at the sensor it will turn a light on the dash. I replace all fuel filters including generator and air dryer every year.

Found it, it is not purging and it was tucked up near the right rear wheel up high, funny, all of the space under the coach they thought that was a good place to mount it. Now I have to break out my air brake diagnostic book and start figuring out why.

That is the same place my batteries are so it is different. I hope you have an access door to the dryer because it may take one heck of a strap wrench to get it off. I had to use a cheater pipe on the breaker bar that attached to the strap wrench. Lucky for me nothing broke. When your tanks fill it will expel air once at the bottom when the tanks reach full. If you have the same problem getting it off put the strap wrench near the threads because the end of the cartridge could collapse.