Sign in to follow this  
jimlavagent

Reducing Hot Passenger Side Floor In Class C E450

I was wondering if anyone has reduced the heat generated by the engine in the E450 Ford Class C motorhomes.

My wife sits in the passenger seat and indicates the carpet gets very warm on long trips.

Has anyone found away to reduce the heat generated by the engine?

You can insulate the underside with the appropriate material. Also sheet metal shields on the exhaust manifold and be fabricated. I have done several Class C's for customers in the past.

Jim,

I also have an E-450 based class C that had a very hot floor and engine doghouse. It was a problem for our little dog who liked to curl up on the floor in front of the passenger space. I removed the doghouse (fairly easy to do - 4 clips, and then out) and inspected the limited woven insulation installed at the factory.

I bought some DynaMat heat/sound insulation from Best Buy near me. This stuff is often used when installing upscale sound systems in cars. It is two layers of aluminum foil with a layer of black mastic between them. Only about 1/8 to 1/4" thick. One side has a self adhesive film which is exposed by removing a thin pull-off sheet. It cuts easily with scissors and sticks very firmly to the plastic doghouse inside surface. I reapplied the original factory insulation over the DynaMat.

The work really reduces the heat transfer through the doghouse. Now I will turn my attention to the floor heat - have not done so yet. DynaMat, or other similar materials are not cheap - they run about $5 to $10 a square foot but they do work.

ArtS