Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Adirondacks, NY to Twin Mtn., NH

Question

Hello!

Need more advice from all of you experienced travelers! :-)

On our way North late this summer (August), we would like to go from Tupper Lake, NY to Twin Mountain, NH before heading to Acadia. I've seen Mapquests options and have seen the Atlas maps... however, I'm sure those routes are not taking in consideration the motorhomes' length and heights. Ours is not a big rig, but neither is too small and also we tow a car.

Which route would you suggest that we take? Mapquest says its about 4-1/2 hrs, however, my husband doesn't drive fast, so probably we would need to overnight at a Walmart or gas station....

Thank you!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

Coachmen/Concord 28' and tow

4 answers to this question

Black flies? Ouch! I'm allergic to the yellow flies we have down here in FL.... glad to know about those too!

And, thank you for your input! Good to know!

Jocelynn

You basically have 3 choices from Tupper. Go north to border and cross to VT - take one of 3 ferries across Lake Champlain - go to Lake George and into Rutland Vt.

1. I have not crossed into VT from the northern edge by the border so not much to advise here.

2. The ferries will take motorhomes but check the Lake Champlain ferries website for times and cost. Grand Isle Ferry is from Plattsburgh and the other two land at Burlington - either

way Rt. 89 would be your best driving route.

3. Going down to Lake George would be a pleasurable experience and take Rt 149 to Rutland then through (Rt 4) Quechee Gorge / White River Jct to Rt 93. Do not use Rt 9N in Lake George as

it is not motorhome friendly around the Lake. And do not use Rt 7 from Rutland - very narrow and few shoulders.

You should include the Kancamangus Highway - (by toad) - Rt 112 into Conway NH.

Hope this helps - you are driving and visiting some of the Northeast most beautiful area's.

Thank you JohnArch for your input...

I was not planning on going northern route, more like your option 3. Actually what I had highlighted this morning, was similar...

Tupper Lake - S on 30 to 28N

28 N east to I-87 S to Glen Falls

Glen Falls to North to 4 to Rutland, then Quechee/Wh River (like you mentioned)

then N on I-91 to cross river on 302 and then Twin Mtn.

Again, thank you!

Jocelynn W Power

Jocelynn,

You will have no problem on 30S and 28N to I-87. We did that a few years ago in a 40' MH towing. We were going to Central Mass. so we traveled down to 7 then to 2.

The roads in the Adirondacks to and from Tupper were very good. the roads in NH and Mass were narrow in spots, but doable.

My father was born in Tupper Lake, NY. When we visited a few years ago we stayed at the city park on little wolf lake. First time they have ever had a MH that big in there. We fit.

Black flies should be gone by August.