Emery

30 Amp AC Panel Wiring

In a past article in FMCA magazine there was reference to a difference in grounding between residential AC panels and those used in RVs. Can't find the article or or remember the difference and want to get it right in my bus conversion.

Emery,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

A sticks and bricks house has the grounding only at the main breaker box.

Since your RV plugged into your house or a CG is merely an "extension of that", the neutral and ground are NOT tied together.

Said another way, the neutrals in your RV only go to the neutral buss and neutral connection of your shore power cord.

The grounds only go to the ground buss in your RV and ground connection on your shore power cord.

The exception is on some inverters-- wire them per manufacturer's instructions.

Thanks for the info. I also found the "Wired for Safety" articles in the magazine and should now get it right. Not a lot of AC on my coach, it has been designed to run everything possible on 12 V.

Exactly as Brett said, also just for cautionary reference, do not allow AC neutral or grounds to make contact to the bus chassis. The bus converters bible is a very good tool if you are doing the conversion yourself. No connection by me to the book, you can google it.