sweisburgh@embarqmail.com

Tire pressure monitor when towing

Hi Stuart-Linda,

I use a TPMS. Since '05 it has saves me two times (both on the toad). The technology is a commodity. This means you can buy any brand you want without much fear. I use Pressure Pro only because in 05 that was about all that was available. After some start up difficulties, it has worked as advertised. Consider looking at the different brands. Compare the style of the sending units (inside the tire, on the valve stem, replaceable batteries, etc.). Understand what it takes to install the unit. What does the unit measure (PSI, Temp, etc.)? Will you need a signal repeater? When you are comfortable with the units specs, that is the one for you to buy.

Guest Wayne77590

I use TST and the monitor sits on the dash of the MH and reads the TOAD without extra antennas.

I'm still doing some research also, and the Hawkshead keeps popping up....DIY battery replacement, with local access to common batteries...Think it is the one that also provides temp and pressure, and with the addition of other brands, the cost for the Hawkshead is lower......haven't' decided yet, still looking and researching others experiences with Pressure Pro, TST, Hawkshead,,,,,did I miss any?

I purchased a Tiretraker pressure monitoring system in Quartzsite, AZ this year. I hadn't worried too much about having a TPMS until the toad kept giving me a low pressure alarm (turned out to be the spare). Anyway I purchased the system and couldn't be more happy. We just came back from the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, AL where we saw a lot of tire blowout damage to wheelwells and storage bay doors. Before the TPMS I checked tires each travel day and "dinged" them at each stop. While that provided a better look than never I find comfort in continuous monitoring. The Tiretraker system uses replaceable batteries which I love rather than having to send the sensor back to the factory everytime a battery needs replacing. On the Red Bay trip we had tremendous rain, freezing weather and snow and the sensors never failed to work. I just took them off the coach and toad and inspected them and they showed no traces of water intrusion. The original monitor had problems shutting off. I emailed the dealer, he sent a new one no further questions asked and only asked I return the defective one back to him using a prepaid mailer. Can't ask for more than that! I highly recommend this unit - the monitor receives signals from all 10 sensors without a booster unit (36 foot coach and toad). Now I check the tire pressure every morning just by using the monitor to scroll each tire's condition. In fact when I inspect the tires before traveling I often take the monitor with me and verify the pressure at each tire while walking around the unit. I recommend the Tiretraker system, especially because of the replaceable batteries and because of the reasonable cost compared to other units I saw in Quartzsite.

I am looking into monitor systems myself. I bought the unit sold by Camping World. I have not used it yet as I was checking it out, I realized because of my eye sight, I would have trouble reading it. So I want to sell it. Check out the unit at Camping World, and then contact me if anyone is interested in a new unit, at a good price.

Thanks,

Nick Murabito

nickmurabito@yahoo.com

I just installed a DORAN wireless system. (I think they just bought out another company, maybe Pressure Pro) It goes for about $900 for a 12 wheel system. I'm 42 foot with a tag. There's an additional repeater that goes in the rear closet so you don't have worry about not getting the signal from the rear of your tow vehicle, a problem I had with the last system, which I had to return. You can also temporarily shut down the tow vehicle info on the monitor so when you drive somewhere without your tow vehicle the monitor isn't constantly alerting you that there is no air pressure in the tow vehicle tires!!

Hope this helps,

Jim

2007 Allegro Bus

Full Timing since 8/2007

I was not in favor of purchasing our Pressure Pro system, didn't want to spend the money etc. Well, my husband, Cliff, talked me into it (glad he did). We used it on our F350 and fifth wheel camper. Boy, was I surprised and glad he did. On the second trip out after purchase it started to scream at us, letting us know we had a tire going down on the camper. We were able to safely pull off into a truck stop, called our road service and we were on our way in less than an hour. We sustained no damage to our rig. We now have it on our 2006 Fleetwood Excursion and on the trailer we pull behind our motorhome. The trailer is a combination of a swivel wheel trailer and a tow dolly, this allows us to pull our car and golf cart at the same time. Sensors are in place on the motorhome, tow dolly and car. I have to admit it gives me piece of mind and has saved our equipment and money using this great system.

We have a 46' coach, pulling a toad. We had the Pressure Pro system installed at a Les Schwab tire center. It's the most expensive system but is very accurate and you don't have to worry about someone stealing one of the stems attached to the tire stem on other units. Works perfectly and has alerted us several times of low and high pressure. No problem with temperature so far. This system also measures several other variables which I do not yet fully understand..but they are carefully explaned in the owners manual.

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Tire-SafeGuard sold by the HCI Corporation. We thoroughly studied the various brands, such as Pressure Pro, before purchasing, and concluded that Tire-SafeGuard was best. We monitor the six tires on our 39' Dynasty and the four on our Jeep in tow with no extra antenna or repeater. The unit measures heat as well as tire pressure. They have one model which allows you to add air to the tire without removing the sensor. They have great customer service. We are very happy with our unit. Jim Hart

I found a nice 4 sensor system for cars on ebay for $15 called Secutire.

Been evaluating for a couple of weeks and easy to install and have confirmed that after dropping 1.5 psi it activated (I had set the tire low as a test).

The company http://www.kysonix.com/ky/productEn.asp also has high pressure 6+ sensor kits but I do not know the price.

If you already have Pressure Pro on the RV maybe the Secutire will work for the toad. Don't know the range though.

But for $20 including S&H not too expensive to evaluate.

I just installed a DORAN wireless system. (I think they just bought out another company, maybe Pressure Pro)

Jim

2007 Allegro Bus

Full Timing since 8/2007

Doran used to sell a private labeled PressurePro system. About three years ago they began selling a system that they either had designed or designed themselves.

It appears to be a pretty reliable system as I have not heard of any problems with it.

I just installed a DORAN system. Previously used a PRESSURE PRO. Have not towed with it, but it is head and shoulders above the PRESSURE PRO as far as installation. Each sensor is identified by a three digit number. You say where it is going. You set its reference pressure. With the PRESSURE PRO if I had the tires rotated on the TOAD you didn't know if the mechanic kept the location of the sensor with the tire or the location. After you filled the tires a few times with the PRESSURE PRO you didn't know what the pressure reference was. The only way to answer these questions was to do a complete install.

I am going on the road with it in a few days so I will know it works.

I just installed a DORAN system. Previously used a PRESSURE PRO. Have not towed with it, but it is head and shoulders above the PRESSURE PRO as far as installation. Each sensor is identified by a three digit number. You say where it is going. You set its reference pressure. With the PRESSURE PRO if I had the tires rotated on the TOAD you didn't know if the mechanic kept the location of the sensor with the tire or the location. After you filled the tires a few times with the PRESSURE PRO you didn't know what the pressure reference was. The only way to answer these questions was to do a complete install.

I am going on the road with it in a few days so I will know it works.

I used a white paint pen to number each sensor so location wasn't a problem. I do like Doran's approach though.