• Announcements

• larrypennington

Update from Texas Assn of Campground Owners re: Evacuees   08/28/17

Good morning, There are now at least 18 privately owned and operated campgrounds and RV parks across Texas that are accepting evacuees. The attached news release, updated from the one the association issued yesterday, includes the names and contact info for the parks. Consumers can also do their own research to identify parks with RV spaces and rental cabins at www.TexasCampgrounds.com and www.TexasCabinRentals.net. Please contact Brian Schaeffer, executive director and CEO of the Texas Association of Campground Owners, on his cell phone at (817) 307-0129 for any questions. We will continue to update this release over the weekend based on the feedback we receive from campgrounds and RV parks across Texas. Many thanks for including our information in your reports yesterday. We appreciate it. Sincerely, Jeff Crider
      (760) 567-9775 (cell)
Hermanmullins

Whats Cooking, Who Is Where, Off The Subject & Memories

Brett suggested we start another Topic. So here is a place to start. When we get bored and with nothing to do come here and just chat. Let others know about you and who you are.

So Here I sit at 4:05 AM, sitting in a WalMart parking lot having a cup of coffee typing nonsense into the computer.

There is an ole song lyric that goes,"The sun comes and the sun goes down. Hands on the clock just keep going around. You just get up and it's time to lay down, Life get tegious don't IT."

Herman 

manholt   

:):o Can happen, especially when your in the middle of a severe storm, in coach, trying to not think about little things like Hail.  Thankfully we got none!  Severe weather is to the East and I'll be out on I-20W by 9am! :D

Carl,

Coming through Dallas and Ft. Worth on I-20 isn't bad. a little traffic but not like going I-30 through both cities. How do you and Linda communicate when traveling together? CB, two ways or cell?

The three of us have two way's set on 3.01 when we caravan.

Herman

Wow....interesting night weather wise here in the Texas Hill country. The storm blew in, literally, around 11PM.  We had some kind of power surge I just and the darnedest thing happened, the pump on our Jacuzzi bath tub started running.

Lots of wind, thunder and lightning, small hail and rain. Its all calm now but our friends in Houston will not have a pleasant commute to work this morning.

I hope you were able to be first in line to get into Wally World, Herman. Did you find something on sale?

manholt   

Jim, he found a free parking spot. :D  Heard that parts of San Antonio got hit hard.  I'm in Tyler, we ducked the bullet, just lot's of rain, still 100% for day!  Gladewater got nailed by heavy rain and 55-65mph wind. Ugh.

Herman, good idea on two way, have not thought about that...I'll get some today, if I can figure out where?  Any thoughts on that?

manholt   

We have decided to wait until tomorrow, to leave.  Have called and moved all reservations to reflect that...will go shopping instead after lunch in Lindale, TX.  Little café there that serves up some really good Chicken Fried Steak, home made mashed potato's, Greens and Okra, with all the gravy you can stand. :D

I guess that means, that I'll only eat a small bowel of " Double Cream Praline Vanilla Ice Cream "! :wub:  That's a mouthful, no pun intended ! :lol::rolleyes:

See if they have some sweet pickle juice for those greens. 

You ever do the all you can eat lunch buffet at Loggins in Tyler?

We are on Canyon Lake and other than lots of rain (2.5 inches) in a very short time period no damage in our area.

Herman, "So Here I sit at 4:05 AM, sitting in a WalMart parking lot having a cup of coffee typing nonsense into the computer." Being awake at 4:05 will make you type nonsense.:lol:

Yes the storm hit us at12:00, not as bad as it could have been. I was concerned as it was so warm but only one tornado watch west of us. 

Carl going west on I-20 is a piece of cake compared to going north on I-35W from the I-30 exit north to the 287 exit is slow.

Jim just use the old standby of hot pepper vinegar. I can't remember the name I think it is Trappeys but you can't go into a diner and not find it on the table.

Bill

manholt   

Herman.  We found the two-way at Best Buy in Tyler, Cobra was the best all around device, even has weather alert on both.  Lunch was good, not great but good.  No Juice, just Pepper sauce..Trappey's!  13 hours of non stop rain, suppose to end by 8pm! :(

Nap time, then HH, then ice cream ! :lol:

manholt   

Left Tyler at 9am and got into Bar J Hitchin Post RV Park in Sweetwater, TX. at 4pm.  Really a nice park for any size rig.  Love's Truck Stop at exit...helps if you need fuel, I took 94 gal. My last fuel stop was La Porte, TX.  Tomorrow is only a 3+ hour drive to Van Horn, TX. 

Since the Storm past by in East, TX.  It is now nice cool temps.  I suspect the current CA. Storm will catch us East of Tucson, AZ.  Oh Well.

We will be leaving Van Horn around 10 am Wednesday on to Ft. Bliss. Desert Willow RV Park is a nice clean park. Level sites. Exit 140B, turn right for about 300 yards.  Park on left. Large RV sign.

Passport America  $13.50.

Herman 

manholt   

I-20 Corridor between  "Canton and Weatherford", is not bad!  That's Herman and WBill's quote.  A flatbed 18 wheeler past me between Canton and Dallas, an hour later, just past the Stephenville exit, there it was again, fried to a crisp...we hope the driver got out in time, but I doubt that, as half of a burned cab was on the Service road about 300 feet away!  Traffic was only backed up about 1/2 mile and it was still smoldering, what was left, when we got there!  Ugh...:unsure:

Carl

jleamont   

Kay, sweet pickles...I agree YUK! Dill, the more garlic and vinegar the happier I am, add some spicy stuff like Jalapeño, Habanero I'm happy.

When I lived in Florida, my neighbor owned land in Brownville Tx., he made a trip to Tx every three months and would bring back a gallon can of jalapenos~ back for me every trip the can was labeled in Spanish, best I ever ate. Sure missed that after he passed away.:wub:MEMORIES! Thanks Herman!

manholt   

Joe. Hot peppers does have it's place, like rubs or jerk, as long as I can still recognize the food group I'm eating!  There are some insane hot sauces out there, made by the Pepper heads, that will put you and me into the Hospital or worse! :wacko:

Kay, since I have yet to try your idea, I can't make a comment on it...Got to say it don't sound good.. :rolleyes:

Carl

jleamont   

Carl, I agree, if it numbs my taste buds its no good! If it kicks it up a notch and warms the palate I'm in! I ate a Pepper the other day which I thought was a Banana Pepper (darn thing looked like a one) usually like them on a sandwich, this was so hot I couldn't speak, I started coughing gasping for air, didn't see that coming :lol:.

Carl, that's what I liked about those peppers, they were not as hot as a regular jalapeno, about 10% carrots, not crisp, I like pickles crisp, not peppers, also had oil that floated on the brine. Haven't been able to find even a close match this far east. And as I said, the label on the can was in spanish, and I don't even speak spanish, much less read it, I really don't know what brand they were. Back then I would pour the can into a glass jar after opening and never refrigerate a good pepper, that only tends to make them seem even hotter. A little sugar will help tame those that are too hot.

Kay, Sounds like you need to make a road trip and stock up. you can stop at the H-E-B plus!, in Beaumont, TX. I bet they have them. But If I came that far I would go down to Galvaston for a few days.

Bill

Tobasco, no flavor just HOT! :wacko:

Louisiana Hot Sauce, Heat with a small bit of flavor. :rolleyes:

Cholula Hot Sauce, wonderful flavor with just the right amount of heat. My favorite on just about every thing.:):)

Herman

11 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Carl, that's what I liked about those peppers, they were not as hot as a regular jalapeno, about 10% carrots, not crisp, I like pickles crisp, not peppers, also had oil that floated on the brine. Haven't been able to find even a close match this far east. And as I said, the label on the can was in spanish, and I don't even speak spanish, much less read it, I really don't know what brand they were. Back then I would pour the can into a glass jar after opening and never refrigerate a good pepper, that only tends to make them seem even hotter. A little sugar will help tame those that are too hot.

Next time  when you have the peppers in that glass jar, drop some peeled hardboiled eggs in there for a few days as a snack also some thick sliced summer sausage or thick sliced bologna.

Bill

Bill, summer sausage---- YUM-YUM! I can't and wont eat eggs with a yolk in it, my body does not tolerate them.:rolleyes:  I can and do eat egg white "SPANISH" omelets.

Carl, I was in Houston last February for a network install, the clinic was close to a HUGE grocery store, don't remember the name, but I searched, hoping to find some, but was unable to find one just like it but was unable to locate. Last ones that my neighbor brought me was 37 years ago.