hermanmullins

Whats Cooking, Who Is Where, Off The Subject & Memories

rfsod48   

I know Texas BBQ is good but Memphis does a pretty good job. Try Central BBQ when you are there. Pine wood? We use hickory.

DBenoit   

How about a good ol New England clambake? Cooked with hot stones covered in seaweed, ingredients, more seaweed then covered by a canvas tarp in a hand dug pit. On the beach!

Ingredients include: Clams, lobster, corn on the cob, potatoes, fish, onion and linguica.

OMG, I'm drooling like a St. Bernard.

jleamont   
1 hour ago, DBenoit said:

How about a good ol New England clambake?

What type of clam do they use up there? Oddly shaped clam with what looks like a tongue hanging out :P

DBenoit   

Throw a large rock on the beach at low tide and they spit water up. Dig there!

Beware, the sea gulls go into your basket when your not looking and steal them.

DBenoit   

We have quahogs also. They are a hard shell clam (little necks, cherrystones)and good raw.

When the seagulls steal those they have to drop them on the rocks to break them open.

Pretty funny to watch especially when they are another 10 gulls waiting to steal that.

fagnaml   

It's mud bug season (mini-lobsters for you northern folks!) in the Bayou City.   30# bag of live crawfish cost $2.35 per pound this past Saturday.  First time to use my "Christmas present" 80 quart pot and new double jet burner stand -->http://www.lacrawfish.com/Bayou-Classic-Cooking-Combo-3-80-Qt-Aluminum-P442.aspx  . 

Boiled the entire bag at once rather than small batches in my small turkey fryer pot.   Threw in 5 pounds of fresh caught Gulf brown shrimp for a couple of family members that don't like mud bugs.  Enjoyed some cold St. Arnold's beer during the boil.  Entire family of 14 (wife, three kids and their spouses, seven small grandchildren) had their fill !   There was just enough left-over bugs for the wife and I to enjoy a crawfish and cheese omelet last Sunday morning before going to Mass.

jleamont   

They are a hard shell clam (little necks, cherrystones)

That's them, these were Hard Shell, DW ordered them thinking she was getting little necks, a bit chewy for me.

3 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

Christmas present"

Got the same one, I use it for Blue Crabs, works great!

2 hours ago, fagnaml said:

It's mud bug season (mini-lobsters for you northern folks!) in the Bayou City.   30# bag of live crawfish cost $2.35 per pound this past Saturday.  First time to use my "Christmas present" 80 quart pot and new double jet burner stand -->http://www.lacrawfish.com/Bayou-Classic-Cooking-Combo-3-80-Qt-Aluminum-P442.aspx  . 

Boiled the entire bag at once rather than small batches in my small turkey fryer pot.   Threw in 5 pounds of fresh caught Gulf brown shrimp for a couple of family members that don't like mud bugs.  Enjoyed some cold St. Arnold's beer during the boil.  Entire family of 14 (wife, three kids and their spouses, seven small grandchildren) had their fill !   There was just enough left-over bugs for the wife and I to enjoy a crawfish and cheese omelet last Sunday morning before going to Mass.

Yep, now you're talking. Heading to Lafayette, LA  for my yearly addiction fix.

manholt   

We will be in Rayne, LA. middle of next week, for everything crawfish!  Then Kaplan, LA. for a 3 sack boil...looking forward to that. :wub:  Figure we'll be shi***g pink for a week! :lol:

DBenoit.  My dead DW was from NH and we did Old Lime, Conn., Boston & The Cape,  Portsmouth, NH. & Boothbay, Main.  Every year, for 14 years!  The best Lobster roll I ever have had, was in Portsmouth! :)

DBenoit   

The best lobsta roll I had is the homemade ones. Pretty simple and much cheaper. Wicked pissa!

DBenoit   

The best lobsta roll I had is the homemade ones. Pretty simple and much cheaper. Wicked pissa!

A hot dog bun vs a hoagie roll

jleamont   

A hot dog bun

That's the way it was made when I had them up there in 2016, garlic butter on the roll at one place and the bun was grilled, that was different but in a good way.