hermanmullins

Whats Cooking, Who Is Where, Off The Subject & Memories

No just that we are going and will leave from southwestern Arizona. Your input will be appreciated as we have never been thru Texas. I made a quick trip to Nacodochas from Pensacola as a kid in the military. Herman, it will be sometime during the last two weeks of March as Easter is April first 2018. Tentative route is wide open other than a couple stops n B'ham and Fort Payne, Alabama and oysters in Pensacola. By no means is it going to be a freeway trip unless....

Bill, if you are going to follow hgy 98 across the panhandle of Florida, don't miss going to Boss Oyster Bar in Apalachicola, none better anywhere in the world that I have found, late March early April is prime time. I can give you directions to some very nice campgrounds in that area.

TBUTLER   

I'm afraid you have struck out with me.  We have been to Florida - once with the motor home.  It was our first trip with our first motor home.  I've been to Florida many times with other modes, car trips, flying (commercial and on my own).  It's a fine state but our RV experience left us  without a great deal of enthusiasm.  Easter would be a fine time to be there.  We'd love to entertain you in the Rio Grande Valley but without a water taxi it would be way out of your way!

There is much to see along the way, New Orleans is a brief side trip from I-10 or thereabouts.  If you like old homes, the Natchez, Mississippi area might be worth a stop on the way or the return.  They have the Natchez Pilgrimage in the spring and fall.  Check to see if your travels match their schedule.  Natchez is in northern Mississippi and it's southern mansions are a delight to tour.  Unlike many old home tours, you can actually walk into the rooms and in many cases you are hosted by the owners of the homes.  Interesting tales of the history of the homes as well as the history of the restoration and preservation of these homes. 

We have done the Natchez Trace National Parkway several times and find it a delight each time.  It is very RV friendly with postings at each side trip as to turn-around, loop, etc.  There is lots of history and great scenery on a road with a 55 mph speed limit and no commercial traffic.  It goes Natchez to Louisville so it isn't exactly on your way to Florida but if you are looking for something other than just driving to get there.

Bill,

I would offer you a place to stay but you would have a difficult time due to the long narrow drive to our home. I can turn our 40 footer around on the pad but it would be almost impossible with your trailer. With just a tow vehicle you can unhook but not with your trailer.

Here is a possible route.

Denver south on I-25 to Raton. Then 87 to Clayton then Dalhart  then Dumas and then 287 to Amarillo (Big Tex Steak House)  Plus Palo Duro Canyon (a smaller version of the Grand Canyon)

From Amarillo 287 to Wichita Falls and south on 287 and pick up US 82 east. You will go through Nocona (previous home of Nocona Boots) and to Muenster (with Fishers German Meat market).  Continue east on 82 through Gainesville and Sherman. A few miles past Sherman is Hwy 69 @ Bells. Go South on 69 for 10 miles to the STOP SIGN. You are in Whitewright, Texas just 2 miles from our home.

You can continue on South on 69 all the way to Beaumont Texas. Form Whitewright to Beaumont you will pass through our Beautiful East Texas Piney Woods. Along the way past Tyler Texas you can take a side trip to Nacogdoches home of Foretravel and Motor Homes of Texas.

After Beaumont you my travel East into Louisiana where someone else can take you on to Florida.

Hope you have a great trip.

Herman 

Kay, thank you  I will take you up on that and yes oysters are on the list and Aplachicola is on the way and 98 is perfect. Ultimate goal is Alachua just north of Gainesville. So I am ecstatic I do not have to go way south. It is beginning to look like a the drive thru B'ham will be on the return. But it is pretty early in the planning and I have not spoken with my honey about what she would like to do. 

Tom I am on board with you. I spent a whole bunch of time in Pensacola in the Navy and decided going to Mobile was better than south in Florida. Of course that was a long ways back. It looks like we are tied to I 10 from the Arizona, New Mexico border to Las Cruces and then jig our way across to Hobbs, New mexico and then into Texas, or drop into Texas at El Paso. From here I have not the foggiest idea where to go. I am allowing two weeks to make the drive. I am sure we will make a stop in New Orlean as we have enjoyed it many years ago. My first stop on the way to my first duty station in the Navy and over night was robbed of all but 20 bucks while asleep in a hotel room.:ph34r: thought the door was locked, it was when I got up.  On our honeymoon drive, in a 1955 356 Porsche, I/we still have, 6,500 miles, we were through Natchez and we will again for sure and the Trail or part of is perfect. It is just what i am looking for, Thank you 

Herman, as I indicated we will be leaving from southwestern Arizona and I do not want to backtrack. However, I might use part of that on the return but 69 does look good to Shreveport the reverse for sure going home. Any suggestions from Arizona, not your first rodeo for sure. Oh and I will have the little trailer but alas still to big.  A cup of coffee maybe?  Thank you for the input.

Carl, Linda step in here too please

wolfe10   

Apalachicola is one of our favorites.  Have spend quite a bit of time there on the sailboat.  That is where we wait for a good weather window to cross down to the Tampa Bay area.

If you are not in a great hurry, there is a great alternate route across part of Texas in lieu of I 10.  From Van Horn, take U.S. 90.  Good 2 lane road, very little traffic and only a few miles longer.  U.S. 90 and I 10 re-join in San Antonio.  That is the way we went last year on the way to the Diesel RV Club Rally and FMCA Chandler.  If you decide to consider U.S. 90, let us know-- there are some interesting sites along the way. Probably start that as a new topic, as suspect others have favorites along that route.

Brett,  90 looks good and since you suggested it probably scenic enough. As I indicated I know nothing about the state or travel in it or across it. What is the country side like, desert by the location, hilly, flat 

Thank you 

wolfe10   

Bill, mostly the same type of terrain as I 10, some grades, but less grades than I 10, since it runs south of the Texas hill country.

Lots of desert scenery, getting wetter/more vegetation as you go east.

Unless we are in a hurry, that is our route of preference across the state.  I 10 is faster, but BORING.

Got it great I have plenty of time 2 weeks   If you have time perhaps PM me about the "Hill Country" That phrase has always peaked my interest.  I am not usually a freeway driver either unless absolutely necessary.  Thanks Brett

Alachua was my old stomping grounds while in Florida mid 70's to mid 80's, while there if scuba diving is a like, go to Ichtucknee springs, the water is crystal clear, forms the Ichtucknee river there. The scuba divers gather there from all over the U.S., for cave diving.

46 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Got it great I have plenty of time 2 weeks   If you have time perhaps PM me about the "Hill Country" That phrase has always peaked my interest.  I am not usually a freeway driver either unless absolutely necessary.  Thanks Brett

If you only visit one area of the hill country I strongly recommend the Fredericksburg area. One major attraction for a Navy guy is the National Museum of the Pacific War and the Admiral Nimitz’s Museum.  http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/

Not far away is the President LBJ ranch. The Texas White house is now open for tours and is a time capsule.  https://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/visitlbjranch.htm

I have stayed at Oakwood RV Resort, 78 FM 2093, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
oakwoodrvresort.com, (830) 997-9817

290 off I-10 would be a good way to get  there.

Bill

Bill,

If you are traveling I-10 you will be 40 miles North of us when you go through Houston, and Galveston is about 50 miles from Houston.  There are many CG's in the area if you have time for a side trip.

From Galveston/Houston we stop at Poche's Fish-N-Camp RV Park, Breaux Bridge, LA.  For New Orleans we stay at the New Orleans West KOA.  Nice sites.  As you drive to it you will wonder what you are getting into as it looks like the rough part of town.  We have never had a problem there. All sites are back-in.

I"m not of much help for Miss. or FL as I'm retire military and get to stay at the military bases.  What route do you intend to take when in FL? will you be going down the West Coast?

One place we stayed on the West Coast was Ho Hum RV park in Carrabelle, FL. About $32 a night.

Happy trails.

...And if you plan on visiting Fredericksburg I recommend the Buckhorn RV Resort, Kerrville,  and along the route of I-10 into San Antonio.  The museums mentioned in Fredricksburg are about 25 miles from Buckhorn. Also you could stay in San Antonio and make day excursions from there, visit the Alamo and River Walk and day trip the Mission Trail. We love SA.

Happy trails.

wolfe10   

U.S. 90 from Van Horn to San Antonio: An EXCELLENT alternative to I 10. Only a few miles longer and lots to see. Good two lane road with little traffic all the way.

West to East:

Reprovision in Alpine, last good sized town until Del Rio. Alaskan CG is very nice.

If time and interest, drop down to Big Bend NP.

There is a CG in Marathon (west side of town), another good place to park and explore Big Bend NP by toad.  It is a Passport America park.

Stop in Langtry at the free Judge Roy Bean center. On U.S. 90 just on the east side of Langtry you will cross a bridge over a deep gorge. Slow down and look right/south! On the east side of the gorge south of the bridge is "Buffalo Jump" where, dating back to pre-historic times, native Americans ran buffalo off the cliff and butchered them in the shade of the large free-standing rock you see.  It is on private property, so not accessible except by invitation.  The remains of the bones are more than 20' deep.

Then to the nice CG at Seminole Canyon SP. If a hiker, take the tour down into the canyon to see thousands of year old Indian cave paintings/really old graffiti.

There are several CG's on Lake Amistad just before Del Rio.

Another interesting CG in Bracketville at Fort Clark Springs. Also, a Passport America park.  Call ahead for reservations, as that will trigger a gate pass into the fort. Fort Clark was one of the many U.S. Calvary forts in W Texas.

The next CG is the city park in Castroville.

Then in San Antonio, back on I 10.

Bill,

If I remember, you are coming through at Easter time. The places Brett has described are beautiful. Being from Colorado there is something you might aware of during that time of year, Snakes.:o That is the time they will be coming out of hibernation. :( Just be careful.

Herman

rfsod48   

How are the campgrounds on Texas us 90? We are looking for a different way to Arizona when we go in January from Michigan. Want to see some different scenery. We normally take I20 to I10,  wouldn't mind adding a few days travel.

wolfe10   
56 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

How are the campgrounds on Texas us 90?

See my post above.  That is certainly not all of them, but shows that there are reasonable ones reasonably close together.

wolfe10   
3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

In early January what type of weather is typically encountered going this way?

West Texas in January can be 70 degrees or 25 degrees. The good news is that temperature forecasts are pretty good 10 days out.  We ALWAYS check when headed west that time of year.