Snoway95

2018 Chevy Equinox Flat Tow

2018 Equinox towing.

Just had this done. Everything went great. Had the same done as Snoway95. The wireless light bar works great. Thanks for that info Snoway95. I pulled for the first time ever and was a little nervous. I have a 2006 Mandalay Valencia diesel 300HP ISB. When I got home I noticed they did not put on a breakaway disconnect. Do I really need one?????

On 6/27/2017 at 9:21 AM, kaypsmith said:

Here is an interesting article about your question, apparently the 2018 is the first year that it can be towed 4 down with AWD. It is nice to know that GM has tackled this problem for us RV'ers. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/09/how-to-properly-tow-a-chevrolet-equinox-with-an-rv/

This article does not address 2018 Equinoxes.  Further it does not discuss AWD.  I was just informed by my Chevy dealership, after going round and round, that the 2018 Equinox with AWD is not flat towable.

I would like to hear from those who are flat towing their 2018 Equinoxes about the trype of drive your veh has.  There are two:  (1) front wheel only and front wheel/All wheel switchable.

I was informed by my local chevy dealership, a major company in New England, that the 2018 Equinox with switchable FWD/AWD is not flat towable.  

johnston   

This is John Johnston, associate editor for Family Motor Coaching magazine. According to GM and the owners manual, the 2018 Equinox can be towed four wheels down only when it is configured in one of these ways:

-- 1.6-liter diesel, AWD

--1.5-liter gas, FWD

--1.6-liter diesel, FWD.

Also, in regard to a statement in the previous post, GM says that switchable AWD is not the reason some Equinox models cannot be flat towed. Here is the detailed explanation from GM: 

You CANNOT dinghy tow the following:

• 2.0 liter Turbo with 9 speed automatic transmission front wheel drive or all-wheel drive ( 9 speed is not capable in 2018 because it does not meet our lubrication requirements when being towed).
  • 1.5 liter Turbo with 6 speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive ( 6 speed is not capable because it has a 3.87 final drive ratio when used in the all-wheel drive vehicle – this ratio spins the transmission too fast when being back driven by the wheels with the engine off ( that is, when being towed) . Transmission lubrication is the potential issue.  Transmission lubrication comes mainly from an internal transmission pump that is driven by a running engine.  

Edited by johnston
Clarify information from GM

I90689   

I just had my 2018 Equinox Premier set up to be towed. I had a Blue Ox base plate installed, and they used the diode kits for the lighting. When I tested the lighting the tail lights and left and right turn signals were fine, but the brake lights are not working. I checked all the wiring from the coach through the pigtail to the front socket on the car and everything looks fine. Anyone have any ideas before I drive the 63 miles back to the dealership??