rfsod48

Dish vs Streaming

rfsod48   

I currently have a carry out dish and use dish network service. I am wondering if ota  and some form of streaming would be better. With dish you have to buy larger package to get any usable channels and then we don't use several of the channels. I know streaming isn't perfect but would like input from current users and how they use it.

How much will you be paying for all the data you would eat up streaming?  That's the real question.  What would it cost for the data vs. the cost for satellite TV.  Many, many, many folks are completely OK with OTA TV only.  That's not me but many others.  If you only watch OTA TV (assuming OTA TV is available) then drop satellite TV.  If you like cable channels that are not available via OTA how many, how often and how long?  You will likely have to keep the picture quality way down so you don't go broke but that's OK for many as well.

rfsod48   

I do have Mobley which helps some with data. I guess I am just trying to see if there is something better than dish. Where we go in Arizona ota local is available, just need dish/streaming for things like sports, movies and a few channels.

It's just a matter of considering your needs.  Sports, movies and those few channels will eat up a lot of data.  The Mobley is a good start "IF" you have good AT&T service available and it's good for 22GB at full speed but "may be" slowed down when you exceed that number.  1 movie can eat up 1-2GB and a 4 hour football game could take 5-6GB unless you plan to watch in a low resolution format.  OTA TV is very good, again, assuming you are in an area where you can receive OTA programming.  We just moved from FL to MI and at 1 campsite along the way we received 2 OTA channels.  1 PBS type and 1 Network.  Done!  We watched the 5 o'clock news on the 1 Network channel and everything else was via satellite.

manholt   

aunatralcampers.  Welcome to the Forum!

It's all a matter of personal needs these days.  90% of the parks I stay in, have 12 to 80 cable channels, I also have the power razor on roof and in big city's I get all the news, sports that I need.  The PC gets me by in the Mountains and rest of needed info, I get by iPhone.  There really is a thing called TMI when your unemployed. :D

Watch a movie?  Go rent one!

TBUTLER   

I think of it as a matter of convenience.  We have DirecTV in the coach and at home.  We know what channels are available, where to find them.  Once we are set up and the satellite connection is made, we have the same service we always have.  No time finding the OTA channels and then figuring out what the programming schedule is for any particular program we want to watch.  We looked at the streaming offerings while at Indy 2017 but just couldn't see it as a viable option.  When it happens we get parked under a tree, it is a temporary situation and we'll use cable or OTA but it is definitely the desert as far as our TV is concerned. 

We also appreciate the time shifting that can be done.  We have both east and west coast network channels so as we travel we can adjust our viewing for the local time.  Finally, as we travel, we frequently stop at a rest area for the night or just for lunch.  On numerous occasions we have checked the weather via the Weather Channel during these stops to determine future route or travel schedule to avoid bad weather.  Having good TV service available no matter where we are located has proven to be a valuable asset.

We have the DISH VIP-722 with the OTA Module.  Get to a CG, go to the right menu and scan for OTA. The channels will populate the guide of the Sat system with a different color. Normal color for us is light blue and OTA channels show up as yellow.  No need to change inputs on TV just select the yellow channel and press OK.  Nice thing is that the receiver guid shows the channels and info for most of the prime TV stations. Also they OTA channels can be edited to indicate the channel station ID or just delete those foreign stations from the list.

FYI for DISH we used to get a lot of foreign stations and now we don't. Go into the menu and find the LOCK features, select the channels you don't want to see in the guide, set your 4 number pass code and lock the channels. They will not appear in the guide.