Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

U.S. 90 San Antonio To Van Horn

Question

rfsod48   

We are thinking of taking a detour from Dallas when we go to Arizona this winter. Would it be better to do this on way there or on the way home? We want to go to San Antonio and then take 90 to Big Bend area and then to Van Horn. We will leave early January and return late March.

13 answers to this question

wolfe10   

March will be prettier with wild flowers.

January can be just fine-- check weather before making the decision.  But U.S. 90, being south of I10 is almost always just a little warmer.

This is from a post I made several years ago.  If going E to W, just read from the bottom:

No problem with I 10 all the way, but there is a much more scenic route across Texas.

Exit I 10 in Van Horn Texas onto U.S. 90. Take it across to San Antonio where it rejoins I 10. Only 25 miles longer. Excellent two lane road with very, very little traffic.

Alpine is a cute small west Texas town. That and Del Rio are best resupply points between Van Horn and San Antonio.

Visit Big Bend NP if not in the heat of the summer. Either drive down in the RV, or leave the RV at RV parks in Alpine or Marathon and drive the toad.

Visit the (free) Judge Roy Bean center in Langtry.

Then Seminole Canyon State Park (electric, water and dump station). Some several thousand year old Indian cave paintings there and free small museum in the park HQ. Some nice hiking trails in the park as well.

For fishermen, Lake Amistad is a good stop-- plenty of RV parks as well.

Then Del Rio if you want to cross the border. Huge HEB grocery store at corner right downtown on U.S. 90.  Plenty of parking, gas and diesel with room to get to pumps.

Not a lot to see in Hondo, but during WW II, that is where they trained Army Air Corp navigators/bombardiers.

Castroville has a nice regional park in town, the town settled by immigrants from the Alsace Region.

Here are some places we recently stayed:

Broke Mill RV Park, Del Rio.

Marathon Motel & RV Park, Marathon

A drive through Big Bend in your motorhome is great.

Visit Terlingua Ghost Town and have a beer on the porch with the locals.

Maverick RV Ranch, Lajitas

Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River.

Davis Mountains State Park (pull through w/full hook ups) in Fort Davis

McDonald Observatory and get tickets for the star gazing party.

March and April will be better for cactus blooms.

Enjoy our great state.

wolfe10   

" Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River. "

Yes, a very scenic drive.  But be aware that there is a short, VERY steep (15% grade). Not all coaches would be happy with it.  And certainly would not hurt to disconnect a heavy toad for that short stretch.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

" Make the drive between Lajitas and Presidio (Hwy 170)  following the Rio Grande River. "

Yes, a very scenic drive.  But be aware that there is a short, VERY steep (15% grade). Not all coaches would be happy with it.  And certainly would not hurt to disconnect a heavy toad for that short stretch.

Oh my!  I meant to say but only in your toad. Not only steep but some pretty good curves. Thanks, Brett, good catch.

manholt   

Jim S.  Since I know a few who take their fifth all the way, I just thought, "well maybe Jim is rattled enough to take his coach, where I just take my Jeep"! :wacko: Just saying....:blink:

manholt   

Wish they would fix it, it's a lot better and shorter road going via Marfa...crazy Mexican drivers, other than that, OK.  Took my Allegro Bus that way, then back almost to Marfa (cut thru a ranch to 118) then back to Lajitas...looong day! :rolleyes: