wvujazzman

State Farm vs Progressive Insurance

Hi everyone... newbies to both FMCA and MH in general... just getting ready to purchase our first MH and I'm doing some research on insurance.  Progressive seems to be the leader in terms of service, but all my other stuff is with State Farm and I'll be forced to pay a premium on my umbrella liability policy if I don't use them for my RV insurance as well.  The costs are pretty close to Progressive, and I have the added benefit of a local agent with whom I've had a relationship for 25+ years... but is the coverage any good?  Does anyone have any experience with State Farm in terms of handling RV claims?  I've not had problems in other areas, but this could be different.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Hi Jazzman and welcome. I have no experience with State Farm but I see your in PA so I wanted to chip in my 2 cents. We were in Punxsutawney and still have the farm there. I have had Nationwide for years and was happy with them. When we bought our coach last year and wanted to ins it, NW didn't do motorhomes but they used Progressive. We went with that and it was about $1400 for the year. We are now fulltime and residents of South Dakota. We also just renewed our policy with Progressive for $700 a year. Same policy, same company, different location. We are new as well and still learning so I'm only passing on what we did. May not be the best thing but it works for us, for now. Kind of like the old saying, "Don't follow me, I'm lost too". Safe journey.

The don't offer a lot of stuff... like diminishing deductibles, Mexico coverage, combined limits... all the things that you're told during research are important to consider when researching rv insurance.  I actually told my agent today that they really don't want to be in the rv insurance business, or they'd offer better coverage.  I'm leaning pretty strongly towards Progressive and just paying the $30 per month surcharge on my umbrella policy, but I did want to check in with folks here first and get some varying opinions.

manholt   

The only Insurance Company I know off that will cover a car (used to cover Coach, but no more) in Mexico, up to 100 miles is USAA...So my Jeep (Toad) is covered but not my coach.  You have to have Mexican Liability Insurance, no matter who else you got !  $123 for 10 days, with a $20,000 deductible.  That was 3 years ago!

Well, we've got multiple different Progressive quotes, and none of them quite match up.  That's one of the things I'm noticing.  My wife and I and our musical partner are buying this together... she has USAA, which outsources RV insurance to Progressive... that's one quote.  We went directly to the website... that's a second quote... and we talked to an agent we met at the Hershey RV show this fall... that's a third quote.  All for the same coach, with the same coverage... and all different numbers.  I'm glad this is simple!  LOL...

We have had progressive for 10 years.  Two years ago we had a hail claim and Progressive out out $19,000 for repairs. My deductible is $250.  This year Harvey flooded the area where my MH was located.  They totaled it and although I have not seen the money yet it is going to be more than I ever expected.  My next MH will be through Progressive.

Here's the scoop.  We have Progressive with replacement value. Yes, a little more expensive but worth the extra peace of mind and remember we live in a hurricane area/flood area.  Harvey totaled our MH. 

We have the full replacement up to 5 years but after 5 years it is what you paid for it.  The difference is that up to 5 years on a new one you get one of similar value from the same manufacturer that it was purchased from.  After 5 years they pay you what you paid for it.  We are in the latter category with our 9 year old coach, so after payoff to financial company we get what is left over and had it been paid off we would have received the full amount - no depreciation.  Other companies offer the same, or GAP.  Worth the extra. Our new coach will be a new used coach so we will only have what we paid for it replacement.  Worth it to us.

We no longer own a motorhome but that will be short lived and only a week or two away - searching, searching, searching.

State Farm now has a Mexico endorsement. Check with your agent depends on your resident state.  Check with the  Motor Coach Collision Repair shops on reputation for paying accident related damages.  State Farm towed Coach from Rural SW VA to NC to the closest repair shop after a tree fell across the Coach. The  dealer shop wrote the estimate and the claim was paid.  Towing was part of the comprehensive coverage.  

State Farm Bank offers financing terms with pay off protector at no additional charge.  I am staying with my State Farm agent. 

manholt   

USAA will cover your toad 100 miles into Mexico....but, by Mexico Law, we still need to purchase a separate Mexican Liability Policy, from a Mexican Insurance Company!