Sign in to follow this  
Keigm

Cummins ISL 8.9 450hp Aftermarket Chip For Increased Performance

Keigm   

Does anyone have any experience with the after-market chips increasing the performance on their diesel pushers?  I’ve got a 14 Mountain Aire with the  Cummings ISL 8.9 450 hp pusher and have heard about some of the chips improving performance of hp and torque up to 20%.  It would be nice to climb some of the hills a little easier but not if there would be damage to the engine or transmission.  

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Keigm said:

Does anyone have any experience with the after-market chips increasing the performance on their diesel pushers?  I’ve got a 14 Mountain Aire with the  Cummings ISL 8.9 450 hp pusher and have heard about some of the chips improving performance of hp and torque up to 20%.  It would be nice to climb some of the hills a little easier but not if there would be damage to the engine or transmission.  

Thanks in advance.

One can get a number of items that will increase HP and Torque, but will the changes meet the EPA guidelines when it is time to pass an emission test. Every engine builder in the world is trying to meet their requirements. VW Diesel tried and failed - cost them big time !!!!! Cat just got out of the market and stayed in the off road equipment line.

The items one must consider like you mentioned and is the trade off worth the extra cost. 

You could invest in a custom engine and transmission and add all kinds of power.  Not within the Reach of many owners.

I'm thinking that overall - you might be using 40% of what the HP and Torque is with the stock setup and if you customize the drive train, you get into looking for shops that understand how and what might be causing issues down the road. Cummings might cover the engine if it is not reworked to much ?  Allison 4000 transmission will handle about anything you power it with,  but you get into custom software in some cases. 

I refer it to as the domino effect. Change something and how many other items need to be modified. 

Rich.

Keigm   
3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Assume you have the Allison 3000.

Correct, it is the Allison 3000.

manholt   

With the mountain air chassis and 450, good assumption, it's a 3000 and yea, you can chip it thru Cummins to 495, but it will still be the same torque!  I asked on my 425 and that's the answer I got.  I did ask if they could put in a bigger engine and Allison 4000...$40K+, I said no thanks!