DBH

Use Extreme Caution with American Coach

DBH   

5 months ago I purchased a new American Coach Eagle - the top of their line.

When I took it in for a few small issues, a technician at their regional center noticed that the air mattress from the sofa bed was missing and had been replaced with a cheap thin substitute.

NOTE - this is an American Coach employee.

I contacted American Coach about the missing air mattress and was told they decided NOT to fit an air mattress to THIS particular coach (to be clear, not this model, not this year...THIS PARTICULAR COACH!)

When I pointed out that the sales literature stated that ALL American Eagles come with an air mattress I was told....

"On the back page in small print is a disclaimer that says we can change the price, material or finishes with notice"....

Seriously?  I now have to get the brochure and check every item is installed.

That's like looking at a brochure that says the vehicle comes with nav system - then finding they didn't bother to fit one on this one particular car.

Appalling sharp practice - slippery language - and not what you should expect from a reputable manufacturer.

You need to use extreme caution when buying an American Coach - and make sure they fitted everything that is in the brochure as a 'standard fitting'.... or you might just find they left out a few things and when you call them... well, guess what...... "your tough luck!"

I think that a call to the BBB would be in order, I would start at the dealer states level, then American Coach level. I would have responded that their disclaimer had no notice to me at the time of purchase.

manholt   

Sounds like a new Eagle to me!  But what do I know.  Have a feeling AC is not the only manufacturer doing this...:angry::angry:

DBH   
1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

I think that a call to the BBB would be in order, I would start at the dealer states level, then American Coach level. I would have responded that their disclaimer had no notice to me at the time of purchase.

Thanks - thats a good suggestion.    But such a pity that we have to resort to the BBB when purchasing a coach with a price tag of $750,000!

Really surprised that they took the view 'TOUGH, we can legally do this!'

Kinda sets the feeling for future purchases for me!

Was this the only thing on your coach they got wrong? Before we have a public lynching and drag the company's dead body through the street I think that more information is needed.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be upset. I would be. I'm just saying that in the scope of a vehicle this large, with this many systems, and with this large of a price tag a change from one mattress type to another isn't the worst thing in the world. I've read of many people that had far worse problems due to poor workmanship or low quality of parts.

Often times manufacturers swap out things like this because they run into a conflict during construction that was not anticipated when the order was taken. I would want to find out WHY they substituted the mattress like they did. Was it because they were just out of stock the day your coach's couch was installed? In that case, I'd push a manager to get things made right. Or, did they discover that something else conflicted with the air mattress and they had to choose between the two? (Like, it would have been too tall to fit with other chosen furniture, etc.) Maybe some other option you had requested used the power outlet that would be needed. Maybe they were having problems with the durability of the air mattresses. Maybe this or maybe that. Odds are that there is a paper record somewhere with the build sheet with some notes from production about what happened (or a digital version of same).

What seems most upsetting is that they didn't pick up the phone and discuss this with you before you took delivery. If they had taken the time to contact you and involve you in the decision I'm sure you would not be so upset. They didn't do that and they should be pushed to make it right. To make matters worse, the person you spoke with at the company about this needs a lesson in customer service. The correct answer should have been something like "please allow me a few days to research this and find out what happened" followed by another phone call explaining things and then offering a solution that made you happy.

However, until more information is available I'm not sure that bad mouthing the whole company in a public forum for this is warranted.

campcop   
17 hours ago, DBH said:

Thanks - thats a good suggestion.    But such a pity that we have to resort to the BBB when purchasing a coach with a price tag of $750,000!

Really surprised that they took the view 'TOUGH, we can legally do this!'

Kinda sets the feeling for future purchases for me!

Whoever you spoke with surely needs a few lessons in customer service, unless.....you were less than civil with him or her. But in any case, my first response would be to write the President of the company with your complaint and ask that the correct mattress be provided.