• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tomlsmith

tomlsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Our Type A motohome is rated well above 26,000 pounds and a neighbor (another motorhomer) recently advised me that we may need a CDL type of license to drive it legally. We register and house the coach in New Mexico. I have sent a query to the NM DOT but have not heard back and am wondering if anyone can clue me in on this subject. Thanks much.

#2 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Location:At Cummins Southern Plains in San Antonio for service before parking for the winter!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

There have been several previous discussions on this topic related to other states. I don't think the discussion got around to New Mexico but I'll refer you to License for Motorhomes over 26,000 pounds. This was an extensive discussion that could give you some background. Another discussion, Drivers license in South Carolina and other states covers additional information.

One factor which may affect the answer from the NM DOT would be whether your coach has air brakes. As you will surmise from the above discussions, states range from very lenient to very strict about licensing requirements. Whatever you find, be sure to post it in this discussion to help others in the future.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#3 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

See if this helps: RV Driver License Requirements

#4 Graybeard315

Graybeard315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Great link for info Wayne, thanks
Aubrey, Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio Callsign: KC5YN
40' American Eagle, Jeep Liberty TOAD

#5 GreyMountain

GreyMountain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Driver's license is from Oklahoma, which requires neither CDL or special license for RVs. I've been driving a Class A gasser, less than 26,000, for ten years. Recently purchased a Class A pusher which exceeds that weight. Still do not require CDL or special license in Oklahoma. However, how does this impact me when driving in other states that do/may require additional licensing?

BTW, new to this forum, but not new to RVing.

Thanks.

Grey Mountain
Somewhere on the rez in Indian Country.
Lonnie, enrolled member of the Sovereign Comanche Nation
Hazel, captive British Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
Fleetwood Discovery 39S

#6 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

Driver's license is from Oklahoma, which requires neither CDL or special license for RVs. I've been driving a Class A gasser, less than 26,000, for ten years. Recently purchased a Class A pusher which exceeds that weight. Still do not require CDL or special license in Oklahoma. However, how does this impact me when driving in other states that do/may require additional licensing?

BTW, new to this forum, but not new to RVing.

Thanks.

Grey Mountain

Gray Mountain,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If you conform to the driver's license requirements for your coach in the state where you have your license, you are good in all other states. Said another way, all states recognize the driver's licenses of the other states.

This applies to your driver's license, but NOT to your coach/vehicle/vehicle operation. Your coach and vehicle as well as its operation are subject to the laws of the state in which you are driving.

Brett Wolfe

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#7 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Location:At Cummins Southern Plains in San Antonio for service before parking for the winter!

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Gray Mountain,

The same applies to Canada, they recognize US states drivers licenses. Be careful though, they may free your captive British Bride!

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#8 GreyMountain

GreyMountain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Last time we were in Canada, I hid her passport hoping they wouldn't let her back in, but they didn't even ask for it.

GM
Somewhere on the rez in Indian Country.
Lonnie, enrolled member of the Sovereign Comanche Nation
Hazel, captive British Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
Fleetwood Discovery 39S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users