30 replies to this topic

#1 akadeadeye

akadeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

I just learned of a new and expanded Norcold Recall for refrigerators. Our 2009 model is included.

Check out the link to see if your's is included.

http://www.norcoldrecall.com/

Don
2009 Newmar 42' Allstar, Wheelchair Accessible,
400HP Cummins, Allison 3000,
Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
San Antonio, Texas

#2 tupelo

tupelo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

I have a 2009 Southwind with a Norcold Refrigerator Recall. Could someone tell me what that involves as far as what parts are to be replaced & approximately the time to do the job.

Will we be able to keep the food in it while this is done ?

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

Tupelo,

Norcold, Inc. Product Recalls – Call 1-800-767-9101. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Brett

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 bthomforde

bthomforde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Last week I went to http://www.norcoldrecall.com/ and filled out the on-line form to see if our fridge was on the recall, a 2008 class A, it came back and said no it wasn't on the recall list.

Last night Norcold called me and said their web site was wrong and our fridge was indeed on the list, she asked for our current location and gave me a couple repair facilities in this area. I went to one of the places and they are ordering the parts and will do the fix next week.

I was pleased Norcold is proactive and called.

Brian

Brian
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus
450 Cummins
2007 Chevy Colorado toad
Here's Where we are

#5 danorske

danorske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

HI,
I just had the recall done Nov 12, 2010. I left on a trip on the 15th. Now, today, the 25th, the refer stopped with code "L1 oP". The Operators manual says no user fix take it to a tech.. So I assume that I'm screwed. I sure hope Camping World will have the parts to get me up and running again. and under warranty. this unit is only 2 years old.

I'm now wondering how the guys that are installing residential refers are going to hold up to the ride down the road. sighhh. to go on with my trip or go home, that is the thoughts...We ARE about half way to our destination.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ron

#6 akadeadeye

akadeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

HI,
I just had the recall done Nov 12, 2010. I left on a trip on the 15th. Now, today, the 25th, the refer stopped with code "L1 oP". The Operators manual says no user fix take it to a tech.. So I assume that I'm screwed. I sure hope Camping World will have the parts to get me up and running again. and under warranty. this unit is only 2 years old.

I'm now wondering how the guys that are installing residential refers are going to hold up to the ride down the road. sighhh. to go on with my trip or go home, that is the thoughts...We ARE about half way to our destination.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ron

Ron,

If I may ask, how old is your refrigerator?

Don
2009 Newmar 42' Allstar, Wheelchair Accessible,
400HP Cummins, Allison 3000,
Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
San Antonio, Texas

#7 danorske

danorske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Don,
It was in my post. see above.
Ron

#8 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

Don,
Before you left the dealers service lot, did you check to see that everything was running?

I did, and I had an error code. I went back in and told them, from some reading I had done, that they put the wires on backwards. The tech smiled, but went outside, made a statement that it's not problem to switch the wires - he did - the unit started working. The silly smile went away and he thanked me.

Just a thought.

#9 danorske

danorske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

Don,
Before you left the dealers service lot, did you check to see that everything was running?

I did, and I had an error code. I went back in and told them, from some reading I had done, that they put the wires on backwards. The tech smiled, but went outside, made a statement that it's not problem to switch the wires - he did - the unit started working. The silly smile went away and he thanked me.

Just a thought.

Wayne, Thanks for your thought. The unit ran fine for 13 days the quit. II was in Tucson when I was able to get a tech to come to me. He diagnoses was the the "new" thermocoupler that was installed was defective. Called Norcold they agreed but said they were on back-order till later this year. Well the Tech had mercy on me as I couldn't wait in Tucson til then and I had to move on, He unwired the device and the refer works. We are now in San Diego and fixin' to leave for LA in a couple of days. Problem is, we can't be assured of when the part could arrive anywhere. So don't want anyone to order it til we're sure of its status to arrive anywhere. Will probably wait til we get home. Just don't use the refer on propane.

Ron

#10 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the follow-up Ron.

Sometimes when the part is real small like that I'll tell he dealer that I'll pay second day air on the shipment. I did that with the Norcold as we wanted to leave town. The dealer arranged with Norcold and they shipped it second day. My cost was minimal to have propane on the road.

Good luck.

#11 DRicketts

DRicketts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

The most disappointing fact about this Norcold recall is that they can't seem to find the end of it. I purchased a brand new model 1210IM in July, 2010 and it was included in the recall in September. I had to wait 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. The fix only required 30 minutes, but needed a second trip because the tech had accidently pulled the ac input lead off of the main control board. So it's a good idea to check operation in all modes before leaving the repair facility. The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it.
David Ricketts, RMCS USN (Ret.)
F297108
K4WR
Retired Telecommunications Field Engineer (MCI)
Coach - 2003, H/R Endeavor, 40 Ft
Cummings ISC, 330HP.
Towing 2009, Honda CRV

#12 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

David,
I would wager to say that they have warehouses full of refrigerators that are on the line to be shipped to hundreds of RV sales stores. They may be updating those as they go out, but more likely they are having the dealers do it, and at a reduced labor cost, and more economical for them.

Just thinking outloud.

#13 chucknewman

chucknewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Wayne, that's exactly how it works. The RV manufacturers do the same thing. Regardless of what they tell you, it always comes down to the money.

David, "The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it." On many if not most of the first recall refers they were replacing the entire cooling unit thinking that was the problem. It was. Unfortunately, the new cooling units were the same basic design as the original, and ultimately some of them leaked also, causing fires. An additional created problem was most techs are not proficient in replacing the complete cooling unit, and many failed prematurely due to this.

Then, as Norcold describes in a posting, the "algorithm" response time to a high temperature condition was too slow, resulting in another recall.

Now Norcold is sending out a bimetal high limit temperature switch (similar to that used on hot water heaters and furnaces) and is mounted on the refer boiler to sense an over-temperature condition. They will pay for 30 minutes of the tech's time which includes a sheet metal flame barrier inserted between the boiler and cabinet wall.

The switch will either cut off the 120vac (per Norcold) or the 12vdc to the gas solenoid thereby shutting off the LPG supply. Have seen contradicting information on this. Per two techs, flame operation is the greater issue since the open flame mixing with hydrogen crated from the leaking and vaporizing coolant causes the fire issue.

From industry sources, the cooling units used by both Dometic and Norcold are manufactured by the same company on Europe. This is why they both have the same issues. And the "new" cooling units used in the first recall was basically a newer version of the original -- some of which failed in the same manner due to "pushing" the design limits of the cooling units due to being stressed by the demand for cooler temperatures installed in locations without proper ventilation (slide outs).

So the refer makers are now sending out a new band aid solution for the same original problem. And it should work as far as preventing a fire. But it will not stop a potential leak in the cooling unit -- the original problem.

We purchased our coach as second owners last year. The refer had practically no use for 10 years. It has worked flawless for us for the past year of full time operation. Even in 110 degree temps. Probably due to two large fans cooling the refer cooling unit. But I am scheduled to to have the high limit switch installed next month by a Norcold authorized mobile service tech. And I will be looking over his shoulder even though I did similar stuff for 40 years. Then I will do whatever mod is necessary to make sure the 120vac and LPG are shut down to the refer. Plus I have an extra temp sensor and spray head in the engine fire detection/suppression system that will go into the refer compartment.

I'm starting to hear from more and more people that "Oh, the RV frig is only good for 3 or 4 years." What baloney! It's widely known if you keep telling someone the same thing over and over, they will eventually believe it. Yes, their are certain things you, the owner, need to do to keep it running well. Kind of like doing basic maintenance on your car to keep it running.

I was into Bus conversions and can say household refer units used as replacements for the RV units have many woodworking and electrical capacity issues. Even if you don't boondock a lot.

When my Norcold cooling unit eventually leaks and/or dies, I'll get a new (not rebuilt) totally redesigned Amish unit for our coach for $1K, and keep our existing refer.
Chuck & Elva, Wheel Estate Travelers
Safari Serengeti, 3126B, VMSpc | Ford Van, M&G Braking System | Scooter
See Us Here

#14 deenad

deenad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

When my Norcold cooling unit eventually leaks and/or dies, I'll get a new (not rebuilt) totally redesigned Amish unit for our coach for $1K, and keep our existing refer.

We have a Dometic, it died after about 8 years. Have the new Amish built cooling unit sitting in the front room of the stick house now. Cost was $625 plus $25 shipping for our 1062 unit.

Deen
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 4090 350/1050 W/Banks (now 435/1200)
Towing an '05 Honda Odyssey four down
RV'ing since 1957
FMCA f47302s
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

#15 DRicketts

DRicketts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

The most disappointing fact about this Norcold recall is that they can't seem to find the end of it. I purchased a brand new model 1210IM in July, 2010 and it was included in the recall in September. I had to wait 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. The fix only required 30 minutes, but needed a second trip because the tech had accidently pulled the ac input lead off of the main control board. So it's a good idea to check operation in all modes before leaving the repair facility. The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it.

Here we go again. My mail just caught up with me and lo and behold, another Norcold Recall. When does it end? Surely they will get it right eventually. But that is what I thought about the last recall. This reefer is less than a year old....
F297108
K4WR
Cummings ISC, 330HP.
Towing 2009, Honda CRV

#16 Shields

Shields

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Chuck, Deen;

I've seen ads for the Amish units but haven't paid much attention to them. How are they different or superior to the OEM units?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim and Beth Shields
40' Monaco Dynasty
F410457
Orange County, California

#17 chucknewman

chucknewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Tim,

Regarding quality, I only know what I read from dealers/installers who have used (and sell) Amish cooling units via hours on the Internet. More importantly to me, I have consistently heard good reports from purchasers of Amish this and that products. They have a different work ethic and it shows.

Will the Amish cooling unit last longer? I would think so but their are very few guarantees in life. The Amish cooling units are "supposed" to have thicker tubing and a re-engineered system. But as with anything, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Norcold told me I only needed the high temp sensor modification, then they said I needed a complete new cooling unit. Being full-timers working in south Texas, I wasn't about to leave the coach for several days (literally) at a dealer. So I had J.D.'s Mobile Home Repair out of Kingsville, Texas come out and do the job. They are a Norcold approved dealer and that's a laugh. Typical RV types that won't read simple instructions because they think they know everything. "We've done these before". Yea, they have but not my model. But that's another story.

Bottom line is I have a new cooling unit and high temp circuit board. As much as their workmanship gripes me, I'm glad they did it in the coach because I found out how easy it is to change one of these cooling units out -- if you follow the instructions in the proper sequence. Like everything else in these RV's, it definitely is not rocket science. Though many would like you to think so.

And while the unit was out, it allowed me to clean out the enclosure, and take measurements and pictures for possible household refer install in the future if this cooling unit doesn't last.
Chuck & Elva, Wheel Estate Travelers
Safari Serengeti, 3126B, VMSpc | Ford Van, M&G Braking System | Scooter
See Us Here

#18 Shields

Shields

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Chuck.
Tim and Beth Shields
40' Monaco Dynasty
F410457
Orange County, California

#19 DRicketts

DRicketts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

Here we go again. My mail just caught up with me and lo and behold, another Norcold Recall. When does it end? Surely they will get it right eventually. But that is what I thought about the last recall. This reefer is less than a year old....

UPDATE: Received word from Norcold, yesterday via the servicing dealer. Turns out that the last recall did take care of this one. The notice was sent in error and my reefer is good to go. Sometimes the news ain't so bad.
F297108
K4WR
Cummings ISC, 330HP.
Towing 2009, Honda CRV

#20 mclavey

mclavey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

I believe norcold is just trying to sell new refrigerators .... things must be slow for them , with the economy turn down. My second recall lasted one weekend .... I called norcold and was told to go back and have it check and I would probably need a new unit (refrigerator) .... so I will disconect the wires from the box and run it without the mod
Marvin & Kathy Clavey
2003 Monaco Diplomat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: norcold, refrigerator recalls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users