Sign in to follow this  
sparrow

It Can't Be Just Me

sparrow   

It can't be just me thats wondering why the commissaries and exchanges are charging full price for their goods. I seem to remember back in 1967 and 1968 that we bought things at substantially lower cost than what the general public paid. In particular electronics and tobacco.

I don't really care if I as a 100% disabled vet get a discount at the px's, commissaries or exchanges but the active duty men and women should be.

Knocking the tax plus 25% off or being charged 2% over cost should be a step in the right direction. This would be better than a raise and wouldn't cost the taxpayer any money. With so few people doing the protecting of this country, it's the least that could be done to help out the service men and women and their families.

It is not just you. Being an Army Brat, I grew up utilizing the commissary system. At one assignment we would shop for a month at a time, had weekly milk and bread runs, so we never used the stores in the local community. Now that I am retired military, I have found it just as easy to shop at WalMart. With the commissary prices being high and the 25 per cent surcharge, it is just not the value that it once used to be.

dgo1369   

x2. I too am retired Army and live within about 40 miles of Ft. Hood with all the facilities there. However, I get better choice of meats and produce at a HEB and WalMart two miles from my house than I would at Ft. Hood. Forget that what you pay at PX's and commissaries are no better than what you get "on the economy", the choices just aren't as good. It seems that many, if not most, of the "bennies" that were promised to me when I entered service in 1959 are gone or disappearing. Now that we are going to have to pay for TFL, that's close to the last straw. If I were I young person thinking of entering the service, I'd think again.

FIVE   

I was bored and looking through some old threads and found this one...which has a number of incorrect comments. The commissary sells at cost (no tax) plus a 5% surcharge. As for the exchange, if you look around you can find some bargains. Men's high quality clothing is discounted a great deal over what it would be at Dillards, Macy's, etc. Other items savings can be on tax only. Liquor cannot be discounted more that 10% of the amount for which it sells off post/base. Some in congress, and other politicians, want to close both facilities. Profits from the exchange goes to supporting morale and welfare activities.

We shop the commissary when able, not so much the PX/BX.

manholt   

FIVE. You bored? Never would have thought it... :P

I'm waiting for the laundry to get done! :) Your right, some very misleading comments! Last year I was looking at a Driver (golf), but could not justify the price at Golfsmith or the PGA Store. A friend found and bought it at Ft Hood. :) I was no where near a base! When I'm camping for more than a couple days and within 40+/- miles of a base, I'll drive in and look around....

As for politicians, the poor folks don't get paid much and don't think their getting their fair share! So they want to close down anything that they can't get a kick back from! :angry::lol:

Carl

FIVE   

You are correct, normally I am never ever bored. However, we are in a CG with a weak wifi...and it is (and was) raining. Couldn't get on line so I started wondering around my computer between attempts.

It is true that commissary sells at cost plus the surcharge (which pays for running, building, maintaing) the commissary. Stores like Walmart and the warehouse stores (Costco, SAMs etc) are the reasons the savings have dwindled in both the commissary and BX/PX etc--it is all about buying power. Only 1% of the US population serves in the military. Add the number of retires and others authorized to shop in base stores maybe means 4 or 5% of the population. Walmart and the other stores are open to everyone including us. How do you compete with that. There are still very good deals and exchange store profits go back into the bases for recreational activities as well--that is a good reason for me to try and shop on base. I want to do what I can for the young men and women who have come after me doing the job now.

I ddon't know all I need to know. But until 2008 or so commissaries were cheaper.

Ft Campbell they had a real bakery. Now they have prepack from Pa that is dry, shipped frozen and thawed and so on. The chief activity seems to be counting the inventory. Aleady stale before it hits the shelve, and higher priced. Their little nook or eating a snack and a drink, only operates at noon.

The meat market  doesn't have quite the selection it had. In response to needing to stock the cases more, they aren't hiring more butchers but bringing in prepack which is from who knows where and of course several days of shelf lie is already gone, and it is higher.

No local fruit and vegetables any more. All from Tx outfit or was. Inferior quality, unripe sometimes and small, this in the middle of farm country and orchards to the north and around. Use to get very good local corn, green beans, melons and all kinds of produce in season. Lots and lots of CocaCola product in stacks in the floors and shelves.

Use to get quite a bit of German and other products in a section. Section gone and just few, scattered ,insignifigant items. Less variety and stocked like Wal mart now with what the Companies want to sell in the best slots not what we used to find.

apparently is to kill off the Commissaries and PXs, if not directly by making them no better than Wal Mart and higher priced.

Fact that Wal Mart and others and Congressmen representing these groups for years argued that  the commissaries and  Pxs were cutting into their bottom line now that they have located near thee bases.