#41 garykd

garykd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi gandr2737,
I'm glad you received a reply from PFJ. I guess you missed my reply to you yesterday afternoon. Check the other PFJ thread and post #80. I replied there because that is where your original concern was posted. Also, in this thread I made a post of current information about the PFJ program. It is about 3 posts up from this post.
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
Cummins ISC 330 HP, 950 FT LBS Torque
Tow With Tow Bar & Dolly (not at the same time)
Coach & Towed Combined Weight Is 37K lbs.
NKK Life Member
FMCA
GS Life Member
Passport America Life Member
The States Visited Map Is Our Second Time Around

#42 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

Used the PJF card at Pilot. No problem. Swipe card, get approval, press continue, go in and pay. Receive 3 cent discount per gallon.

Thanks PJF.

#43 Lutefisk39

Lutefisk39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

For many, many years, my wife and I fueled almost exclusively at Flying J facilities for the simple reason that we found their diesel fuel pricing to be consistently among the cheapest and they provided free dumps. A year ago we encountered a $10. dump charge at FJ in East Boise. At that time I wrote to this forum and also to FMCA officials commenting on our experience. Since then, we have not fueled at any FJ facility and have watched the FJ and Pilot pricing since the Pilot takeover. Our conclusion is that their diesel fuel pricing is consistently and substantially higher than the competition.

Recent example- Needed fuel in Las Vegas area. FJ and Pilot minimum $4.199. Found fuel through gasbuddy.com web site at $4.01.

Can not understand FMCA's continually supporting FJ/Pilot.

#44 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yesterday I stopped at Bosselman's Pilot, Exit 54 on I-70 in Kansas. Despite the bright red canopies over the pumps with Pilot clearly printed on them in large letters, they do not honor the discount because as the clerk stated they are Bosselman's, not Pilot. They are listed on the Pilot web site and their cash fuel price was the best I could find on our route of travel so stopped there but didn't get the cash price or any discount at all from the credit price. And yes, I followed the procedure as outlined above and on the Pilot web site. The card reader on pump 22 was posted as inoperable so I went inside and presented R.V. Real Value card and my credit card.

If the clerk was correct and they don't honor the Pilot programs then they should be removed from the web site or there should be some disclaimer (an asterisk or footnote) indicating that they are some kind of affiliate that is not really a Pilot Center. I don't know what the clerk was thinking when I presented my R.V. Real Value card with my credit card before the purchase. I would guess she thought it was for entertainment. Nothing was mentioned about the card not being accepted at their location until I had finished pumping fuel and was presented with the bill.

I've contacted Pilot via e-mail regarding this incident, awaiting reply. When I get some kind of response from Pilot, I'll post it here.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#45 garykd

garykd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi Tom,
The reference material you used may be the wrong book. An RVer should use the PFJ RV Frequent Fueler Guide. Go to the URL in post #39 or to http://pilotflyingj...._v10_eproof.pdf . One can download the PDF file and keep it on a computer. This is the "bible" for RVers wanting to use the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program. In Kansas there are only 3 PFJ places to fuel.
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
NKK Life Member
FMCA
GS Life Member

#46 joelashley

joelashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

This has got to be the most fouled up program ever. I'm reading different things from different sources and forums, and Pilot Flying J's website is no help, because it is full of ambiguity. I take it that you have to "register" your Frequent User card, Loyalty card, or whatever it's called, (of which there are several versions) in order for the company to tie your card to a chargeable credit card account.

But the website implies you have to have 500 gallons purchased before Pump Start will activate a Trucker pump. The info in this thread indicates otherwise. If the former is true, then for my first 8-9 trips to Flying J (I usually fill at reaching half a tank, requiring ~60 gallons), I have to (1) pull up to a Truck pump, (2) delay the annoyed trucker behind me while I go inside to get my charge card okayed and my FFueler card aknowledged and discount applied, and then (3) fill my tank, which at the high-speed pump will cause foaming at the finish, requiring my further delaying the "time-is-money" trucker while I (4) clean up the mess. Yes, I can pump at a slower speed to avoid foaming, but how is that gonna save time? I could always accumulate gallonage toward the Pump Start feature by using the RV Lanes, but the Flying J RV lanes I've been to are a chaotic, hard to access pain in the rear, sometimes hard to spot when first pulling in, and generally to be avoided.

Thank goodness I signed up for Pioneer Fuel years ago - no crowds, no delaying anyone because there are always open lanes, no involved card program, easy-in and easy-out station access, and far more facilities continent-wide. And few if any customer complaints, unlike the many found in this thread re. Flying J. I really never want to see another Flying J "parking lot" again unless I'm out of other options.

FMCA would do better by its membership to negotiate a program with Pioneer Fuel instead of Pilot Flying J. I know when we joined FMCA we were supposed to receive a Frequent Fueler or some such Flying J card as a benefit, but we were never sent one. Perhaps that was a good thing.
Hafcanadian
2006 36ft. Beaver Monterey
400HP CAT
Motorhoming for 27 years
Go OSU Beavers!

#47 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hi Tom,
The reference material you used may be the wrong book. An RVer should use the PFJ RV Frequent Fueler Guide. Go to the URL in post #39 or to http://pilotflyingj...._v10_eproof.pdf . One can download the PDF file and keep it on a computer. This is the "bible" for RVers wanting to use the PFJ Frequent Fueler Program. In Kansas there are only 3 PFJ places to fuel.

Thanks Gary,

I hadn't read the whole thread and missed this. I must say that this seriously complicates the whole program. I passed up the Flying J in Warrenton, MO today and fueled at Mr. Fuel in Foristell, MO at $3.799, no cash/credit price, just $3.799 for everyone. Best deal around!

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#48 garykd

garykd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi joelashley,
I am surprised by your post. Go to post #39 in this thread. The link for an RV Frequent Fueler is in this post and for your benefit
http://pilotflyingj.com/rv-home is posted again here. Post #39 and the link you will find the current information. Some of the information in your post is months old. One does need to register their Frequent Fueler card. One can do this via the web site link (again in post 39) a Kiosk in the store or a PFJ cashier. Just like you registered for Pioneer, one must do a similar registration with PFJ. Sound fair to you? It is unfortunate the information you are working with is outdated. Stay with what is in post 39 and you'll have the current information.
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
NKK Life Member
FMCA
GS Life Member

#49 johnfv2

johnfv2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

O.K. Pilot Flying J must think we, as a group, must be about as dumb as a box of rocks. I finally went to the PFJ site to find out where all the hullabaloo is coming from.
I guess I'm just getting tired of hearing about this 500 gal. thing.

DA!!!! Here from their site @ (http://pilotflyingj.com/rv-home) is how PFJ is giving you all the info you need to pump your fuel.

Pump Start Procedures
The discount on Diesel Truck lanes is only available when you register for Pump Start. Please see any Pilot or Flying J Cashier, or visit us at an RV Show to register for Pump Start.

Please note that at this time Pump Start is only available at Truck Diesel Lanes. As usual, you can always start the pump with any major credit card at both RV lanes and Gas lanes.

No 25 gallon minimum or 500 gallon fill up required to receive discounts at the pump.

Do we know what the word NO means???????????

Granted it could be worded different but the correct info is still there. That is if you don't just glance over it, but actually read the info that they are putting out there.

How hard can this be to understand:RV pumps credit card first, then Frequent Fueler or RV Advantage card when asked to insert it, TRUCK LANES Frequent Fueler or RV Advantage card ONLY, then go in and pay.

For either card, get your card registered. Read only whats on the RV site, and keep away from the truckers portal and you might be much better off.

Not much new info seems to coming from this thread, just mostly P**ing & Moaning going on about the same old things that have been hashed out way too many times already.

PFJ is trying to get these changes going but most of what I hear is that, we as a group don't know how easy it is to fuel up without trying to make it difficult on ourselves. We need

to understand also that not all stations are Corporate stations but that some are franchised out. In the PFJ booklets and on their internet site they mention who are and who aren't.

Those that are franchised also seem to always be higher in price as PFJ doesn't control their pricing. Don't ask cashiers questions that you don't want wrong answers to. Some of

them may have just started yesterday and not know any more than u do. I'm just waiting for their pricing to get in line with the old FJ. I won't hold my breath on that one. For me it's as

simple as if I need them, I'll use them, If I don't need them, I won't use them for my fuel, propane, dump, or eating stop. They are handy and if I'm in a bind on any of these I'll use them.

Other than that I'll wait and see before I'm back to using them on a regular basis.

2008 Class A Fleetwood Bounder Diesel, 3 slides  B) 

Toads - 2011 Mercedes Smart Car Cabriolet Convertible :rolleyes: 

2009 Jeep Liberty :) 

Roadmaster tow-bar, Steer-safe  

Even-brake when towing Jeep,

Mission, TX-Winter :D = Grand Marsh,WI-Summer :unsure: 

#50 joelashley

joelashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Wow. I sure got slapped around for my contribution.

No, I didn't read every single post in this long thread. I did relate what I'd experienced, including what I got from linking to the supposed official site, where it implied that one had to have 500 gallons purchased before Pump Start would activate; here is the pertinent direct quote from the current Frequent Fueler FAQ site:

"I registered for Pump Start and my member card will not start the pump. What happened? Once you have registered your card for pump start privileges, you must purchase 500 gallons before your member card will start the pump. If you have purchased 500 gallons after registering your card, and your card will not start the pump, please check with the manager on duty at the closest Pilot or Flying J."

This does not say you won't get the discount, and that is not what I implied, so perhaps you should do more careful reading yourself. If you are "tired of hearing about the 500 gallon thing", then get on Pilot Flying J's case about updating their website - don't bash around those confused by it.

And I did not indicate it was unfair to have to register a card. The comparison to Pioneer Fuel is that once PF issues their card, you are already "registered". One card in to start a pump. Nor do you have to go in to pay following your fillup, no matter which pump was used.

I am indeed sorry that my post offended anyone; that was not intended. I merely related my experience for others to glean from. Isn't that what a Forum is for? If everyone expressed exactly the same viewpoints, there would be little point to exchanging them.
Hafcanadian
2006 36ft. Beaver Monterey
400HP CAT
Motorhoming for 27 years
Go OSU Beavers!

#51 garykd

garykd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hi joelashley,

If post 39 and 48 do not contain or direct you to the information I have posted for RV Frequent Fueler customers, please be specific about what is missing or incorrect. When going to the PFJ web site stay in the RV section. The Frequent Fueler FAQ information you quote is for OTR Drivers not RVers. The RV FAQs are found on the same page. Once you read and understand the RV Frequent Fueler Program then it is your decision to participate. My responses to your posts is to provide the correct information to those reading the posts and you. This is important, especially when incorrect information is posted.
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
NKK Life Member
FMCA
GS Life Member

#52 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

Joe,
I agree with you that you were unfairly beaten up! Just because there happens to be written somewhere (whether it's written right and read wrong) this program should not be so complicated compared to how it worked in the past. It use to be that FJ or Pilot meant just that. Today, franchise, affiliate, corporate, how the heck am I supposed to tell. I shouldn't have to take a graduate course in fueling just for the privilege of paying too much for the same fuel I could buy elsewhere of less.

Even folks who have followed the procedure exactly as they should have are having issues and a few folks here seem to want to dismiss the event and simply blame the user.

Not fair and not appropriate. I have been very lucky over the last few months as I have been able to find fuel stops which good access and I simply just paid for my fuel without having to swipe anything. What a concept!

#53 RCoult

RCoult

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Like others, I have had a few problems with my card working properly at Pilot Flying J stations around the country over the past couple of months. However, I am happy to report that I recently filled up in the truck lane at Flying J #747 in Springville, UT a few days ago and everything worked like clockwork. Glad to see Pilot Flying J finally getting it together. My next stop will be at one of the NV stations. Hopefully I will see the same results.

#54 wb4zit

wb4zit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

My comment is about the CC limits, particularly the MasterCard limits. Limiting fuel purchases to $75 at the pump is ridiculous, even for a car, much less an RV. I have been assured from my bank, and by MasterCard, that these limits are imposed by Pilot/Flying J's company or bank/credit card processing agent. Both my bank and MasterCard assure me that they do not impose any "pay at the pump" limits. The limits are Pilot Flying Js limit by virtue of their bank/credit card processing company they do business with......and they are ridiculously low in the day and age of $4.00+ a gallon fuel.

So, Pilot Flying J, you really need to starting twisting your company or your bank's/credit card processing company's arm to get these limits changed. It is just ridiculous that I can buy a $5000 TV and nobody blinks but some arbitrary, hidden institution that I cannot contact limit's me to a $75 fuel purchase at the pump.

Otherwise, I would like to say that I think Pilot Flying J is making a concerted effort to get the RV program off of the ground and working properly. My last few visits to Flying Js my card has worked properly and the discount and cash price have been honored. I have been please EXCEPT for when I know I want to put more than $75 of fuel in my SUV at the gas pumps using my MasterCard and I have to go inside first. I will admit that the prices at Pilot Flying Js are frequently quite a bit higher than surrounding truck stops and I question the wisdom of fueling there unless you need the use of their amenities such as dump station, propane, restaurant, and RV parking. The amenities they provide to do not cost them anything since they now charge for the dump station and there is no discount at the restaurants so how do they justify charging .10 to .15 cents more a gallon than nearby stations?

You really need to get those pay at the pump credit card limits changed and it's YOUR company or their bank...not my bank....not MasterCard.....but your company or bank that imposes them......at least according to the MasterCard folks.

#55 johnfv2

johnfv2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

For everyone's info I just fueled up at the FlyingJ in Black River Falls, WI at the truck pumps. The truck house is under renovation, and you have to go to the
main building, and I hope it isn't raining like it was for me. I gave the gal my J card and I had to do a pre-pay. I hate that! After I finished fueling I went in for
a receipt and low and behold I was charged the cc price @ $3.99 OUCH! The manager said nothing cando. Get ahold of corp. and they'll credit you. For
$3.00+ I don't think I'll go that route. Anyways it might of been different if I had used the car pump side but I wasn't sure if they had diesel on those pumps.
Just for your FYI. I also dump whenever I can and can't remember ever using a J.

Safe Travels

2008 Class A Fleetwood Bounder Diesel, 3 slides  B) 

Toads - 2011 Mercedes Smart Car Cabriolet Convertible :rolleyes: 

2009 Jeep Liberty :) 

Roadmaster tow-bar, Steer-safe  

Even-brake when towing Jeep,

Mission, TX-Winter :D = Grand Marsh,WI-Summer :unsure: 

#56 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

John,
PFJ Specifically states that Wisconsin locations cannot give the discount. There are a a couple other states, AZ being one of them I believe. I think this has something to do with State law, and not PFJ policy.

#57 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Wow! I just re-read this entire thread. If I were just coming aboard on the PFJ Frequent Fueler program I would be very confused, but only because I read the negative posts. It seems that some have problems, and many do not. I would venture to say that those who are not having problems just don't post to often of their good points, like everything works the way it should, but I wish they would post their good experiences. All the negativism may have PFJ rethinking their position on offering RV'ers discounts. I for one would not like to see that happen, as I'm sure most of the other satisfied users would not like to see that happen.

We just completed close to a 5000 mile trip, from Texas over to the East Coast, up into New England, across to the Niagara Falls area, through lower Ontario, Canada, over to Lake Michigan, then up and around the Great Lakes, and then points South back to Texas. When I could, I would use the PFJ fuel stops. I typically fill up around the half tank mark, mainly so I can get out, stretch, and more importantly I just don't like to get down close to that 1/4 tank area just in case I have to run the Generator for whatever reason. So that was a lot of fuel stops, and in every one, except one stop, I never had a problem using the PFJ (Old RV Value Card) frequent fueler card. I reported that one incident to PFJ, and hopefully if I travel that way again it will be taken care of.

We can talk about our other credit cards that offer a percentage back on purchases, and discounts on fuel in certain situations, so let's just talk about one more Frequent Fueler Advantage, that being the Pilot/Flying J card. It is an opportunity. An opportunity to acquire fuel at a little lower pricing structure than the average driver. An opportunity to save approximately 3 dollars per 100 gallons of fuel. An opportunity to use other benefits as described by PFJ. It is an opportunity that one joins voluntarily.

With so many users having no problems they must be doing something right.

So, please Pilot/Flying J, do not do away with the program when so many of us are enjoying using it. I am extremely happy just to have to not go in to hand my credit card to a clerk before fueling. That in itself is the best advantage I can have. (Oh! Thanks for the discount also.)

#58 cbdeajr

cbdeajr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

Are the cards for diesel fuel only or for gas also?
Cecil

#59 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Are the cards for diesel fuel only or for gas also?
Cecil

Both.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#60 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

Plus discounts on propane and a reduced fee for using their dump. It also allows you to use a credit card and pay the cash price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users