5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnF

JohnF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Howdy All,
I'm going to have a 50AMP outlet installed at home and I'm looking for info to ensure the installation is done correctly. Why? My neighbor had a 30AMP service installed and when he plugged in it blew every thing in his RV and was very costly to repair. Schematics, diagrams, voltage requirements 120/240 and test procedures would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance for your input.
Happy Trails,

JohnF
2008 Bounder Diesel 38F
Texas

#2 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

Here is a source of information about 30 Amp and 50 Amp service for RV's. RV Electric Service If you aren't comfortable working with the electric, consult an electrician and use this site for your reference in discussing the installation with the electrician. Don't assume that they understand the requirements for RV's. Unless they have experience working with RV's, they may not understand what is required for a safe RV service.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#3 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

www.myrv.us

Click on "Electric Service" and then on "50 amp service". B)

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#4 JohnF

JohnF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thank you both.
Great site, it has answered all my questions.
JohnF

#5 bairman

bairman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

I installed my own 50 amp service last year and it was not that difficult. First let me tell you that I normally pull the main fuse just to change a light bulb, because I don't like electrical systems, because I don't understand them. I was very lucky that I found a retired master electrician at Home Depot and he walked me through the whole process. I already had a sub panel coming off my main and this also made it very easy. You can buy everything you need at Home Depot or Lowe's including the 50 amp box with lid. The most expensive part is the wire. My 50 amp box is about 40 feet from the sub panel so I dug a trench and used conduit vs direct burial due to cost and did the job in one day. Also check in that some cities require a permit to run new service.

#6 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

I had mine installed according to the diagrams give above. Then, before I plugged anything in I metered according to the diagram to make sure everything was correct.

Check, double check, and check again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users