#1 RWDMLD18

RWDMLD18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

I checked Roadmaster for adapters for a 2008 Mini. There is one. Is there any difficulty in towing a Mini standard shift?
Bob and Dawson
F408869
2006 National Dolphin, 2005 Canyon, Roadmaster hitch

#2 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

There is a link on the home page for Towing Articles. The towing guide for 2008 doesn't list the Mini Cooper, neither can I find a reference in the 2009 or 2010. This suggests that it may not be easily towable. The other possibility is that it just isn't considered in making up the guide. Check your owners manual and/or the manufacturer for further information.

I would say the Mini is a good candidate for a trailer rather than towing it behind the motor home. If you can deal with a small trailer, the car will definitely fare better inside a trailer.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#3 Podschweit

Podschweit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

I currently tow my 2002 Mini behind my Monaco Knight I use a Blue Ox car mount and my Mini is also a standard 6 speed trans I just put the car in "N"(if trans were an automatic you could not tow with all wheels on the ground) and leave the key in the ignition that keeps the steering unlocked, I also mounted separate lights in the back of my Mini and ran the wires up to the front of the Mini & then plug into my coach, the only problem I had was when I tried using the Evenbrake system I had to purchase a relay and add it to the brake light switch of the Mini and also the clamp that goes onto the brake pedal is not the best fit but it does work.

#4 fmcwave

fmcwave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

I understand that Steve Bennet who has californiacoachcompany.com has towed a Mini for several years. He has written about it on the POG forum.

Wave

#5 phespe

phespe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

Mini Coopers tow quite well, but only the standard transmission (6 speed).

I'm on my second one - first one was a 2005 CooperS, had it for a few years but needed to upgrade to a Mini CooperS Clubman.
It too tows easily. I use Roadmaster tow bar and base plates.

PHESPE

#6 guenter/jeanne

guenter/jeanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

We Tow a 2010 Mini 6 Speed with no Problems Roadmaster towbar and Brakets

#7 gmoreno

gmoreno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

We tow a 2002 Mini cooper behind our Damon Daybreak. However, our mini is an automatic CVT transmission and therefore, we tow with a dolly, front wheels up.

2010 Damon Daybreak Bunkhouse V-10 35' Gas
2003 Toad, Land Rover Discovery

Blue Ox Base Plate, Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar

#8 Daleshanson

Daleshanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

We tow a 2008 mini clubman , s, 6 spd., flat, Using a blue ox system, and have had no problems. Dale s.

#9 Rvpainter1

Rvpainter1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

We just traded in our 07 Mini Cooper as Mini Cooper states it is not towalbe with all 4 down and also states if it is that the warranty will be voided. Additionally service centers are too spotty across the USA & Canada so we opted for a 2012 Honda Fit which Honda states can be towed on all 4's

#10 jmsherman

jmsherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

I have a 2008 Clubman S which I have towed on tow dolly. How much expense is there to set up vehicle, get tow bar and brake system?

#11 sgt770

sgt770

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

We have traded in our Class A diesel pusher for a Class B, i.e. fuel prices. We towed four down for years, but we now own a 2012 Mini CVT (Automatic). We will now have to use a tow dolly, which researching all the web sites, it does not seem like a big deal, except which one brand to choose.

The dilemma we have is our Mini has a Aero Kit, which makes the body lower to the ground. Our question is does anyone know if we will encounter the ramps hitting the Aero Kit or any other problems. The Mini we purchased was not my choice, but my wife loved it and who can say "NO" to the boss.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#12 Koliver

Koliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

You may need to raise the ends of the ramps with a 2x4 so the lowest part of the front air dam clears it.

#13 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

K, I understand the front air dam but how about the rear? It looks to me that if you get the Mini on the dolly the front end can be as much as 8 to 10 inches up which would lower the rear end. Bumps and dips could damage the rear farings as well.
What do you think. :huh: :huh:

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#14 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

The rear wheels are so close to the rear of the car that I don't think anything would drag no matter how high the front was.

#15 Koliver

Koliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Easy to measure the angle of the rear wheel to rear bumper, to see what clearance will be left when on the dolly. Chance are there is no problem. Others put a Mini on a dolly without any problem.

#16 sgt770

sgt770

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thank you for the input. According to Demco, our Mini should fit on their dolly according to the measurements I sent them. No guarantees if a dip is excessive. My question is our steering wheel does not lock. I have read on numerous statements to tow on a dolly, you have to have a locked steering wheel.

Again any help will be appreciated.

Our new 2013 LTV sleeping in it's storage waiting to see who it's toad will be.

#17 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

The front tires are strapped in place and when I have towed on a dolly before the vehicle may or may not have had a lock.

#18 gmoreno

gmoreno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Been towing our '02 CVT mini front wheels up for three years. No issues. Using an ACME tow dolly. No locking the steering on the cooper. Load, strap and go. Don't have an aero kit on our cooper, so can't say of you'll damage your cooper while trying to load onto the dolly. What I do have is an 8 inch drop hitch on the back of the MH where the tow dolly attaches to minimize mini cooper back bumper scrapes. Only scrapes I have encountered comes from the hitch - because it sits so low - and not the back end of the mini, thank goodness.

I like the ACME because of the surge brake system an it is light (400#s) to manuever by hand, once you arrive to your destination.

2010 Damon Daybreak Bunkhouse V-10 35' Gas
2003 Toad, Land Rover Discovery

Blue Ox Base Plate, Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar

#19 sgt770

sgt770

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thank you for your help.

We found our answer by attempting to load our Mini Cooper on a Demco Kaddy SS. It would NOT go up the ramp without scraping badly. Also, once loaded, the ramp was to close to the aero package behind the front wheels. One dip and it would have been toast. 

Therefore, we have a NEW 2012 Mini Cooper FOR SALE, which cannot be flat towed or dollied, but can be trailered. We do not want the trouble of a trailer, therefore we are getting the 2013 Fiat Abarth (standard shift) which can be flat towed per the FMCA Toad Edition.

Thanks again, see you down the road.

#20 carolc

carolc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

We are looking for the right car to flat tow behind our RV and I am in love with the Mini Cooper S, manual transmission. 

One dealer told me that the Mini Cooper (manual & automatic both) should not be towed because they're built with some aluminum parts in the front end that will not hold up in towing. 

Can anyone confirm this to be true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users