Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Towing 2010 Ford Fusion

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 matt8892

matt8892

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

I am looking at possible buying a 2010 Ford Fusion with a V6 automatic engine and the sales man told me that it cant be towed. i thought that all cars can be flat towed with the proper mods. any thoughts???

Anyone here actually have a 2010 Fusion that they tow?? and I want to flat tow it by the way...

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

i am looking at possible buying a 2010 ford fusion with a V6 automatic engine and the sales man told me that it cant be towed. i thought that all cars can be flat towed with the proper mods. any thoughts??? anyone here actaully have a 2010 fusion that they tow?? and i wanna flat tow it by the way...

Do NOT trust any salesman to know and give you the correct informaiton on this.

READ the owners manual or give Ford a call.

Previous Fusions are towable 4 down (without major modification) only in manual transmission configuration.

Brett Wolfe

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 garykd

garykd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi matt8892,

Go to Remco and see what they say. It looks like it depends on what engine and drive train you have.
Gary
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
Cummins ISC 330 HP, 950 FT LBS Torque
Tow With Tow Bar & Dolly (not at the same time)
Coach & Towed Combined Weight Is 37K lbs.
NKK Life Member
FMCA
GS Life Member
Passport America Life Member
The States Visited Map Is Our Second Time Around

#4 curley9946

curley9946

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Do not due that.

I have replaced 2 transmissions. Ford has no answer. But I was also told no problem. Now I think I need a $2,000.00 pump system. :angry: :huh:

I have a 4 cly auto trans 2010 Ford Fusion! :(

#5 Donlock

Donlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

We tow a 2010 Ford Fusion 4 cyl auto no problems.

Had trans fluid put to right level and computer updated, and follow manual to the letter:

1 Start let run 5 min.
2 Shift D R N in that order and leave in neutral
3 Key in first setting (I use a regular key not the transponder one)
4 Not over 65 mph

So far no problems about 5000 miles

ps Touch wood( hand on head):-)

Don

#6 curley9946

curley9946

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

I am looking at possible buying a 2010 Ford Fusion with a V6 automatic engine and the sales man told me that it cant be towed. i thought that all cars can be flat towed with the proper mods. any thoughts???

Anyone here actually have a 2010 Fusion that they tow?? and I want to flat tow it by the way...

It will not WORK :angry:

#7 rfox54

rfox54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

I have a 2010 Mercury Milan 6 cyl auto trans (sister to the Fusion) and have towed with no problems. Trans fluid need to be set to the lowest safe level (per owners manual). Ford also has a TSB on this which I print and take to the dealer when I have service work completed. Most of the service departments aren't aware of it. There have been problems if the proper level is not maintained.

#8 tjhwrd

tjhwrd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Mercury Mariner purchased Dec 2010, 2300 miles, in shop for third transmission.

#9 rorr1821

rorr1821

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

According to the Ford 2010 official towing guide, which you can download from the internet, this vehicle can be towed all 4 wheels down. There are some limitations as to speed and AWD vs FWD. I would read the towing guide and owners manual and definitely would not rely on the salesman's comments as an authoritative source. The best source is the owners manual for that specific vehicle.

#10 bairman

bairman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

We have a 2011 Fusion V6 automatic with 1700 miles and have gone through 2 transmissions on this trip. We have followed all requirements and transmission levels and still the problems. The car is now in Colorado Springs and we are in Sturgis SD with a rental car provided by Ford. They are replacing the trans for the second time and then delivering it to us in SD.

#11 Dwainndee

Dwainndee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion in my garage right now that I worked with all last summer attempting to configure it to tow, (Adjust Trans. Fluid, Followed directions, Installed Remco pump) It never worked!!! I would certtainly not advise it! I am probably going to tow mine on a dolly, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users