#1 pattie1tom

pattie1tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hello all

I was wondering if any one has ever replaced the standard slide style (analog) a/c thermostat with a digital thermostat and what make/model you used.

Thanks

Tom Forcier

Pattie1tom@aol.com

#2 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Location:At Cummins Southern Plains in San Antonio for service before parking for the winter!

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

What brand of air conditioners do you have? I've never had anything but digital thermostats with our Dometic Duo-Therm air conditioners/heat pumps. If you have a standard household type thermostat I would think they could be replaced with any digital thermostat available at Lowe's, Home Depot or other hardware store. I've done that with every home I've owned in the last 30 years. It is a simple operation, takes less than 30 minutes. I've just never heard of using the home style analog thermostat in modern motor homes.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#3 pattie1tom

pattie1tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

It is a Coleman a/c unit on our 2011 hurricane. The thermostat is a Coleman mach ar7807, 12 volt thermostat. House hold thermostats are 24 volt thermostat systems. I was reading one article that says you can use a 24 volt thermostat household unit as long as it has battery backup.

#4 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Location:At Cummins Southern Plains in San Antonio for service before parking for the winter!

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

Since I have no experience in this case I'll simply wish you good luck. I'm sure someone has looked into this conversion.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#5 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Here is a pdf file with instructions on making the change: Attached File  hunter-digital-tstat-instructions.pdf   17.45KB   5697 downloads

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#6 lakemartin

lakemartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I just installed a digital Coleman Mach thermostat yesterday it is a direct replacement for the Analog Coleman thermostat and is easy to install. No modifications are required. Cost of Digital around $75.00 including the shipping cost.

#7 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

lakemartin,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please post the Brand and Part Number of the replacement.

Thanks.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#8 lakemartin

lakemartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

The replacement digital thermostat is
Coleman Digital Heat/Cool Thermostat 8330-3362. I purchased at RVPlus located in Chattanooga, TN 37421

Phone 423-402-9008

http://www.rvplus.com/

unit price $67.99 plus shipping. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users