Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Driving With Propane On

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramblinboy

ramblinboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

How many people drive with their propane tank shutoff? Excellent article on fire prevention for RV'ers in current FMC magazine.

One warning - don't drive with the propane tank on.

I checked and I don't have a three way fridge.

So.... options? Make ice and use a cooler for perishables while traveling and only use propane when parked?
I have a full tank of gas and $20 in my wallet! Life is good.

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

This has been the subject of discussion for decades.

First, all will agree that when refueling, that all spark-producing or flame-producing appliances should be OFF. This includes turning off the appliances, not just turning off the gas supply to them. A spark ignitor from a propane appliance left on, propane turned off can also ignite a gasoline spill by you or someone else. This includes the refrigerator, water heater, furnaces, aqua-hots, etc.

As far as operating the refrigerator on propane at other times when not around flammables, no clear answer.

Is there a risk-- sure. Is there a risk in operating the main engine on gasoline-- sure. Most consider the risk minimal and acceptable.

As you brought up, are you at greater risk of food poisoning if you turn off the refrigerator while driving-- yes. The relative risks have to be weighed by each of us.

I will suggest that proper propane system and refrigerator maintenance is important to lower the risk factor. No just the risk while driving, but also in using appliances when stopped. This includes pressure testing the propane system at least annually and doing the "burner area tune-up" on the refrigerator annually as called for in your refrigerator owners manual. Are you at more risk in a system that has not been maintained-- yes.

OK, enough facts. My personal opinion, the risk of operating PROPERLY MAINTAINED (which mine are) propane powered appliances in our coach while driving is an acceptable risk to me.

Brett

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

When we started out traveling, we had a gas/12V refrigerator and used the 12V when driving. I shut the propane off before we drove as a matter of routine. Then we got our current motor home, no 12V, only 110V AC and propane. So we started keeping the propane on while driving. Recently we replaced our Norcold 1200 with a household refrigerator, 110V AC only. Now we don't really need the propane when driving except when driving in cold weather and using the furnace. I haven't gone back to shutting off the propane but should begin doing that. I hadn't really reconsidered our regular practice of traveling with the propane on. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#4 ramblinboy

ramblinboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

Great advice Brett! Thanks for clearing up the risk issue. Ill have a look at my fridge manual too - a little maintenance goes a long way especially when there's flame involved! rB

"This has been the subject of discussion for decades.

First, all will agree that when refueling, that all spark-producing or flame-producing appliances should be OFF. This includes turning off the appliances, not just turning off the gas supply to them. A spark ignitor from a propane appliance left on, propane turned off can also ignite a gasoline spill by you or someone else. This includes the refrigerator, water heater, furnaces, aqua-hots, etc.

As far as operating the refrigerator on propane at other times when not around flammables, no clear answer.

Is there a risk-- sure. Is there a risk in operating the main engine on gasoline-- sure. Most consider the risk minimal and acceptable.

As you brought up, are you at greater risk of food poisoning if you turn off the refrigerator while driving-- yes. The relative risks have to be weighed by each of us.

I will suggest that proper propane system and refrigerator maintenance is important to lower the risk factor. No just the risk while driving, but also in using appliances when stopped. This includes pressure testing the propane system at least annually and doing the "burner area tune-up" on the refrigerator annually as called for in your refrigerator owners manual. Are you at more risk in a system that has not been maintained-- yes.

OK, enough facts. My personal opinion, the risk of operating PROPERLY MAINTAINED (which mine are) propane powered appliances in our coach while driving is an acceptable risk to me."

Brett
[/quote]
I have a full tank of gas and $20 in my wallet! Life is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users