• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rheald

rheald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

I did a search in this topic and did not find anything about rotating tires.

First, should you rotate tires on a motorhome, and second, when (mileage) should you do it?

Thank you,

Kathy

#2 w6pea

w6pea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

I bought my tires on my Class-C from Discount tire

I would follow these recomendations

Good Luck
Remember; "Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops !"
If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Actually, tire rotation on a motorhome is quite a lot different than on a passenger car, SUV or even light truck.

On a motorhome, there is no scheduled time/mileage for a tire rotation. If there is no uneven wear, the tires may well be replaced based on age before rotation is called for.

Rotate tires if uneven wear is detected. Run your hands across the tire and then down the tread, particularly on the front tires that are far more prone to uneven wear than the back tires. If a discernible pattern is felt, rotation may be warranted if enough tire life (generally time not tread) remains.
At that point, a determination should be made as to the cause of the uneven wear. Some uneven wear, such as rivering and wear of the far inner and outer tread do not call for additional maintenance. Other patterns may call for the need for an alignment, balance/check tires for run-out, shocks, etc.

If rotation is called for because of wear on the front tires, move both front tires to ONE side of the rear. Do not locate a worn front tire on the same side of in the rear with a far less worn and therefore “taller” tire on the rear. The taller tire will carry a disproportionate share of the load. Choose the side of the rear that will be moved forward based on those in better condition. This is generally the left rear, as they are less exposed to curbing than the right rear. With the rare exception of a few tires that are directional, tires may be mounted in either present direction of rotation or the direction may be reversed. I recommend putting the side of the tires exposed to the outside/UV mounted facing INBOARD.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 rheald

rheald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thank you both for the info. I'll have them checked and then decide what to do.

#5 Tireman9

Tireman9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

I did a search in this topic and did not find anything about rotating tires.

First, should you rotate tires on a motorhome, and second, when (mileage) should you do it?

Thank you,

Kathy

I have a post that covers rotation and matching duals. Pictures of the result of the RV manufacturer not setting alignment of the RV when new in the post.

Retired Tire Design and Quality Engineer (40 years experience).
Retired Professional race car driver.
Retired Police Driving Instructor.
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Delivered Tire Seminar for RV owners & two seminars on Genealogy at FMCA Bowling Green 2009, Madison 2011,

Indy 2012, and Perry 2014

I am scheduled to present two seminars on RV Tires & Three on Genealogy at Redmond, OR  in August

See my blog www.RVTireSafety.com and subscribe if you want notice of new posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users