Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Engine Oil Recommendation- 8.1L Gas Engine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pattexaco

pattexaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

I will be changing the oil in my '06 Winnie with 8.1 L gas engine for the first time since purchasing it 4 months and 3,000 miles ago. It has 5w-30 Valvoline conventional oil in it now, but was thinking for this oil change and future changes to use 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 5w-30. The engine has 14,300 miles on it.

I would value other opinions on which blend to use and why.

#2 petermartinu270

petermartinu270

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Full synthetic is the way to go. Much more tolerant to heat breakdown and lasts a very long time. Miles driven is not an issue. Usually can last up to a year in most gas engines.
Peter & Beth Martin
97 Foretravel U270
Cincinnati, OH

#3 OkieDave

OkieDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

I have an '01 Winnebago with the 8.1L engine. I have been using full synthetic. I change oil at 7,000 miles and change filter at 3,500. It has 50,000 miles on it and uses about 1 quart every 5,000 not including the little I have to add at the filter change.
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V, 8.1L Vortec, Workhorse Chassis
Towing 2006 Honda CR-V AWD
Dog, Missy

#4 pattexaco

pattexaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thanks, Peter and Dave for your replies. Would you mind sharing with me what synthetic oil you are using?
Also, are you using the adapter for engine fuel filter or still able to get original workhorse filter? Sorry for all the questions, but do value your opinions. Again, thanks and stay safe.

#5 petermartinu270

petermartinu270

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

I do not use synthetics in the diesel pusher. The maufacturer recommendation is every 6,000 miles with heavy duty 15W40 oil formulated for diesels. As well, the engine takes 16 qts. of oil, so there is not any savings in going to synthetic oil.

For the truck I use Mobil One 5W30.
Peter & Beth Martin
97 Foretravel U270
Cincinnati, OH

#6 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

I do the same as Peter-- conventional oil in the diesel (Delo 400 15-40 in the motorhome, Shell Rotella T 15-40 in the boat since Shell is easier to find in the Bahamas).

Synthetic in my gas vehicles (Mobil 1 5-20)

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#7 nsjordan

nsjordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

I am an AMSOIL guy (dealer too). I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser, it is my 3rd motor home and I have used AMSOIL 10w30 in all three (454, 460 and this 8.1L engines). As a retired Army Maintenance Officer I learned a long time ago that synthetic oil was the way to go. My experience has been the the engine runs cooler, quieter, with better gas mileage and with the extended drain interval of AMSOIL (about 3 times longer than normal oil) it costs less. I use it in all my vehicles plus my lawnmowers. On the RV, I use a larger oil filter that holds 2 qts. I too add a quart about every 5,000 miles.

#8 cemery

cemery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

You guys that do not use synthetic in your diesels are missing the boat. You can triple your drain miles for a savings in cost.

#9 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

You guys that do not use synthetic in your diesels are missing the boat. You can triple your drain miles for a savings in cost.

Sorry, but please post a link to ANY engine manufacturer's statement that suggests extended (time) drain intervals when using synthetic oil in a diesel engine.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

#10 smokeater75

smokeater75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi guys, I use mobile 1 syn. in my cars and I use Valvoline syn in my 8.8 L.Cummins. All my engine service is done at the Cummins dealer. I also run the Valvoline Syn. in my Onan diesel generator. In the past 3yrs I have not had a problem starting the engine or the generator in - 30 temps. I run synthetic because of the cold temps here in Winnipeg. I want as much protection for my engines on a cold start as I can get. As far as extended oil changes Cummins does not recommend that. I have the rv serviced once a year and so far so good. I think that when you have very expensive sports cars coming from the factory with synthetic oil in them its something to think about. Just my 2 cents, Smokeater75

#11 pnixon235

pnixon235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Brett
Lots of things have been improved and new methods have been developed to make running our engines and transmissions since 1993. Better oil filtration is just the start of ways to make your oil perform better and longer. I'm also an Amsoil dealer but I'm not here to sell you a thing. In fact here's a link to just one of our competitors that do a good job of explaining the benefits of bypass filtration. Fleet operators have embraced this as it drastically lowers cost while reducing oil degradation over time.

http:// dubdubdub(dot)gulfcoastfilters(dot)com/understanding(_)lube(_)oil(_)and(_)its(_)j.htm

sorry for the mess above but the forum doesn't like me leaving links

Paul

#12 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

http:// dubdubdub(dot)gulfcoastfilters(dot)com/understanding(_)lube(_)oil(_)and(_)its(_)j.htm

sorry for the mess above but the forum doesn't like me leaving links

Paul

To post a link, copy the link (highlight and hit copy from their website). Go to your post (or click "edit" to change your existing post). Click on the "Link" icon which is just to the right of the 1- 2- 3- just above your post. Scroll over it will cause it to say Link. Paste the link, then click OK.

Brett

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users