If you are having problems signing in, please contact webmaster@fmca.com. Thank you.

Photo
- - - - -

Motorhome Will Only Provide 30 Amps Even When Plugged Into 50 Amp Power

50 amp 30 amp winnebago journey

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 chrisg4242

chrisg4242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi - I'm a newbie. We've had our 2005 Winnebago Journey 39ft since the Summer and I'm struggling to get 50 amp power inside the motorhome.

We've plugged into many 50 amp outlets at different campsites but all I can see on the panel is 30 amp.

Part of the problem is that I'm a real novice with electrics so I'm not really sure where to look...the inverter? the panel etc...

Perhaps there's someone kind enough to point me in the right direction?

By the way, we're on a winter trip from our home near Mt Rainer, WA to Vegas, Anneheim, San Diego, Sonoma and in January back home - we're enjoying RVing a lot.

Many thanks!

Chris

#2 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

If your coach is wired for 30 amps then it does not matter what you plug into as you will never get more than 30 amps. 30 amp service provides a total of 30 amps throughout the entire coach (assuming you have a gauge showing your amps you will only have one). With 50 amp service you would actually have 2 separate 50 amp legs for a total of 100 amps available.
You are not going to be able to get more than the coach is wired for just by plugged into a circuit with the capability of providing more.

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

To follow up on Bill's post, to tell if you have 30 amp or 50 amp coach, look at the male end of the shore power cord:

30 amp has 3 prongs.
50 amp has 4 prongs.

If your shore power cord is 50 amp and you are plugged into a properly wired 50 amp RV receptacle, you should have 50 amp (two hots) service.

IF YOU ARE SAFE WORKING AROUND 120 VAC, start by verifying that the CG receptacle is properly wired:

Outer straight (either) to center straight= 120 VAC
Outer straight (either) to center round= 120 VAC
Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC
Center round to center straight= 0 VAC

If not, AND YOU ARE SAFE WORKING AROUND 120 VAC electricity, remove the cover from the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) and check from black to white and then from red to white on the "IN" from shore power and also on the "OUT" to the coach 120 VAC breaker box. Readings from black (hot) to white (neutral)= 120 VAC. Reading from red (other hot) to white (neutral)= 120 VAC. Reading from black to red= 240 VAC.

If that is OK, then you need to contact Winnebago, as they likely have an energy management system that could have a problem. But you do want to be able to tell them that indeed two hots are are there and properly wired.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

One additional item. If a breaker is off in your main power panel (not the main breaker), a power management system may "think" that only 30 amp service is available. The power management system must sense both legs of the 50 amp service to recognize that the service is 50 amp service. Without actually testing the input, if you have a double pole breaker in your main panel that is marked 50, you have 50 amp service. The other breakers will be single pole and marked 30, 20, or 15 depending on the size of the circuit attached.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

2006 Fleetwood Expedition 37U

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#5 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

mrboyer is correct, IF, repeat IF the CG outlet is properly wired. Many energy management systems need to see 240 VAC between the hots in order to operate properly.

If the outlet is wired incorrectly, with both hots coming from the same side of the CG main breaker box you coach will not sense "proper 50 amp power".

That is why I suggested measuring hot to hot (outer straight to outer straight) to VERIFY that the outlet is properly wired.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#6 chrisg4242

chrisg4242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

Many thanks - it's definately a 50 amp coach

I'm thing that as mr boyer says 'a breaker is off in your main power panel (not the main breaker), a power management system may "think" that only 30 amp service is available'

Only problem is that I don't know where the main power panel is or what it looks like or how I access the breakers.

Thanks for your advice so far

#7 wsnewhall

wsnewhall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Chris if you will be passing through the Stockton area on your way to Sonoma let me know. I'd be happy to take a look. I have over 40+ year in the electrical industry. Also have a small private rv park.

#8 chrisg4242

chrisg4242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Thanks wsnewhall, appreciate your offer - will certainly look you up if we head by Stockton - many thanks

#9 oldmarine

oldmarine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

hi Chris
for whatever its worth, check where your power cord is located + take a good hard look
in the compartment .you might see a selector switch 30/50amp. make shure its flipped
to whatever power you are conecting to. our coach is set up like this ,and if you are
hooking up to a 50 amp but the switch is still at the 30amp position ,then all you get
is 30amp .take a look + if you cant find it call winnebago for the location,good luck
old marine

#10 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

OK, so you appear to have a 50 amp coach. Under no circumstances should you only be able to get 30 amps (maybe only 50 amps on one leg instead of 50 on each) so what kinds of problems are you encountering that would make you feel like you are only getting 30 amp service.

#11 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

There is a button on my EMS that I have to push to tell the EMS what I am plugged into. It will cycle through the readings as it is pushed.
Maybe yours is the same.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#12 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

Normallly, the EMS would not show amps if there is 120/240 volt, 50 amp power entering the system. If only 120 volt power is sensed, the EMS system should indicate 30 amps available. If you have connected with adapters to 20 or 15 amp power, you would need to set the correct current available. The EMS will then shed loads as needed for the power you have if it has been set up.

As to where to locate the main power panel, it may be in a very inconvenient location; but it is normally accessable from the inside. Have you called Winnebago to ask where your main panel is located? Most manufacturers will be able to tell you if you give them your VIN number. Ask them t you question regarding only 30 amp power entering the coach. Also ask to have the electrical, both 120 volt and 12 volt, drawings sent to you. Fleetwood has been able to email to me my drawings. If nothing else if you have the drawings in hand, asking questions of them is easier. If you cannot reach Winnebago, open every cabinet door to look for the location.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#13 chrisg4242

chrisg4242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Many thanks for the advice. I found the main power panel, it is accessable from the front of the coach, next to the generator. How do you tell if a circuit breaker is good, does it pop out if it's tripped?

I'm thinking I've an issue because the Intellitec panel inside the motorhome indicates 30 amp even when I'm plugged into 50. The electrical heat pump also seems to struggle below 30 degrees (which may be normal)

We'll be in Vegas tomorrow at which time I'll see if I can get in touch with Winnebago for advice

Many thanks!

Chris

#14 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Please let us know what Winnebago tells you and the fix.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#15 vtbigdog

vtbigdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

In my coach you have to select the incoming amps...from 50 to 30 to 20 to 15. Could this be your case as well...meaning you have to select 50 amps in order to receive it?

I would also check the breakers on your inverter. You may have one tripped.
Regards,

Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011 W20
8.1 Workhorse / Allison

#16 lmsooter

lmsooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I don't know if this will help with your current problem or not but various support material is available online for Winnebago - wiring diagrams,plumbing diagrams, etc. The link is:

http://www.winnebago...es/manuals.html
Leary and Sandra Sooter
2006 Alfa See Ya
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
Roadmaster Falcon 2 Towbar
Brake Buddy Vantage

#17 Guest_BillAdams_*

Guest_BillAdams_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

Chris,
I don't know if I can help with anything other than looking around with you, but we are in Vegas at the Circus Circus KOA if you would like a second head in the coach. I don't believe that you can expect your heat pump to work below about 40 degrees as there is just not enough warmth in the outside air to pull out.

#18 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Bill is correct, heat pumps are only efficient into the mid 40's. After that you are using more energy (electricity) to run it than you are getting out of the unit. You would be better off with a small electric space heater - or switch to the propane furnace.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#19 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

My Sister and brother in law have a 2002 Georgie Boy Suite (28') and it came with only 30 amp service in the coach but with a 50 amp power cord. Maybe that is what Chrisg has.

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#20 chrisg4242

chrisg4242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for all your help. I spoke with Winnebago today. I looks likely that the Intellitec smart energy management circuit board is faulty and needs replacement. On my coach this unit is behind the main circuit breaker switch near the front of the bed. As long as I disconnect all electrical supplies then it looks like a simple replacement. It costs somewhere between $4-500 for the unit so I'll take another quick look before taking the plunge.

I'll post another note if it works (or not).

Many thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 50 amp, 30 amp, winnebago, journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users