Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

I Want To Add An “Extend A Stay” Adapter To My Propane System.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I want to add a “extend a stay” adapter to my propane system. Has any one added one and where did you tap in to the system.

I am thinking I want it on the right side so I can use it to also power my outside gas grill. What about going in the refrigerator access panel?

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#2 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

The instructions that came with my adapter had me put it just before the regulator on the coaches propane tank. ( the high pressure side) That placed it on the drivers side of my coach.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad
F294035
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#3 xctraveler

xctraveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have had mine in use on two coaches. It is on the high pressure side between the tank and the regulator. This enables the coach regulator to provide appropriate pressure to the coach. Also, if you get the three way, you can deliver high pressure propane to your grill before its regulator. When I use my extend-a-stay, I connect the hose between the adapter and the tank and then turn off the coach tank valve BEFORE opening the external tank valve. This prevents external tank from pushing propane into the coach tank instead of into the system if there is higher pressure in the external tank.
Traveling the country in our '04 Southwind 36E on a WorkHorse W22 hauling the '05 RAV4 4 down with US Gear Supplemental Braking.

#4 JohnQFWB

JohnQFWB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I want do do something similar, i.e., add an extend-a-stay. However the way my coach is setup I have been told it would not fit. The coach propane tank sit perpendicular to the frame just aft of the driver's side front tire. It is very crowded in there. I know that the coach system supplies propane (vapor) to the stove, hot water, refrig, and heater, and (liquid) on a separate line to the generator. What I would like to do is get a large external propane with a regulator and then tap into, i.e., Feed into the vapor line bypassing the on-board system. I'm pretty sure that I would have to first turn off the existing coach tank vapor valve, and then turn on this new source at the external tank.

Is this feasible and safe????

1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040
2002 VW Jetta TDI Toad & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited

#5 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

If you are asking if a qualified propane tech could shut off and cap your on-board vapor port and route the line from the vapor port to an external bottle (likely with an extension) the answer is YES.

Have you not been able to find a propane company who will fill your on-board tank?

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#6 firedoc

firedoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I had an 'extend a stay' type hook up added to my coach by a propane shop. We tapped into the low pressure side (after the coach regulator) with a custom 15ft hose that has its own regulator. The problem that I see with this (postoperatively) is that we have apparently bypassed the shut off solenoid from the propane sniffer in the coach. May have to look into that. :blink:
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 38L
2008 Vue
Currently on the left coast

#7 1duffer101

1duffer101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Can you just attach to the fill port on the built-in propane tank?

#8 grandyp

grandyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

I have attached the extend a stay system to my coach (Newmar Diesel Pusher) and connected to a 30 lb bottle, however my furnace will not operate? Am I doing something wrong?

#9 wingerphil

wingerphil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Furnaces are very touchy to the amount of gas pressure it is receiving. Do your other gas appliances work? If yes, you might check the connections from the gas bottle to the extend a stay and make sure no thread tape or "pipe dope" is blocking the opening a little which could cause a partial clog and decrease the pressure enough to cause a problem with the furnace.

Next thing is I would make sure you turn the 30 lb tank on very slowly, turning it on fast with a 5' or longer hose between it and the regulator may cause the OPD valve inside the tank to think there is a leak and shut off the flow.

Pretty much all I can think of right now, hopefully others will chime in with some more ideas.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users