Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Performance Improvments

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

What if any modes have you done to your exhaust or air cleaner.

Has any one added a chip to improve performance or mileage? For instance a Banks power pack system.

Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a Honda Civic on a Acmey tow dolley.

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Bill,

Please tell us what chassis/engine you have.

Comments about a Chevy 454 with carburetor would be of little help to you if you have a 2006 Ford V10.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yes my bad.

2003 Bounder 38N with 300 hp Cummins and 3000 Allison.

I am familiar with modes to gas motor homes but new to the world of diesel.

I understand using a light foot but wonder what else is out there.

Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.

#4 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

For information on the Allison Mode Button, read my article "Allison Transmission Mode Button": March 2012 page 40.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

#5 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

What if any modes have you done to your exhaust or air cleaner.

Has any one added a chip to improve performance or mileage? For instance a Banks power pack system.

Bill

There are a number of things you can do. I have installed an Aero stainless steel muffler which is straight through with a venturi effect which is supposed to have less back pressure and I increased the air inlet from the roofline to the air cleaner to 6 inches in diameter and K&N air filter. The changes probably have helped mileage some as when I fueled up in Las Vegas the other day, I had gone 871 miles and got 10.93 mpg. I have a 32 foot with an ISB 275 towing a 1/2 ton Silverado with full tanks, 225 gallons of diesel.

#6 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

There are a number of things you can do. I have installed an Aero stainless steel muffler which is straight through with a venturi effect which is supposed to have less back pressure and I increased the air inlet from the roofline to the air cleaner to 6 inches in diameter and K&N air filter. The changes probably have helped mileage some as when I fueled up in Las Vegas the other day, I had gone 871 miles and got 10.93 mpg. I have a 32 foot with an ISB 275 towing a 1/2 ton Silverado with full tanks, 225 gallons of diesel.

I installed a Banks stainless steel muffler which is straight through with a venturi effect. I looked at the Aerodine at The 6 state rally and I decided to go with the Banks. I almost went with the K&N but found this filter test and I am glad I didn’t. This is a link to the filter test. You might want to read it if you are using a K&N filter. This is the only test that I have seen that used lab test equipment to do a test that is repeatable and to a given standard ISO 5011 test standard was used.
http://www.billswebs...rFilterTest.htm

I am in the process of upgrading my air filter. I ordered a Racor/Ecolite filter part number 62891-003 from Filter Barn and waiting for it to arrive. This is a 13 1/2-diameter filter. I looked up the flow rate on their website and it list 1375 to 1900 CFM. I will have to use adapters to get it hooked up, as it is 7 inch in and 7 inch out. I was looking at the K&N but after reading the test results on them I changed my mind. I think this filter will give better airflow than stock and better than the K&N (I have never heard what K&N claims), and hold more dirt before needing change. Hear is a link to the filter site
http://www.parker.co...nextcat=ECOLITE SERIES&vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextpartno=062891003&Wtky=FILTERS

Fleet pride is ordering the adapters that I need to connect the new filter. I probably won’t get the filter installed before I leave on a little trip next week so we will see if there is any difference with just the muffler.

Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.

#7 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I test ran the K&N filter for 1 and 1/2 years, 8000 miles, then had the oil analyzed by Blackstone labs in Indiana and the results showed the filter was doing a good job. The production K&N filter was available this past May and I installed it. I just sent in another oil sample and I am waiting for the results.

#8 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Unfortunately an oil test will only tell you how much Silica has gotten by your rings and is in suspension in your oil. It will not tell you what your oil filter has trapped. I wonder if there is any damage being done to your turbo, valves and heads. I have seen enough evidence in that test data that I will not be running a K&N. I was a believer in them and had one on my last truck.

Just as a note: I use to run an oil test lab when I was in the AF.

Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.

#9 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I installed a Banks stainless steel muffler which is straight through with a venturi effect. I looked at the Aerodine at The 6 state rally and I decided to go with the Banks. I almost went with the K&N but found this filter test and I am glad I didn’t. This is a link to the filter test. You might want to read it if you are using a K&N filter. This is the only test that I have seen that used lab test equipment to do a test that is repeatable and to a given standard ISO 5011 test standard was used.
http://www.billswebs...rFilterTest.htm

I am in the process of upgrading my air filter. I ordered a Racor/Ecolite filter part number 62891-003 from Filter Barn and waiting for it to arrive. This is a 13 1/2-diameter filter. I looked up the flow rate on their website and it list 1375 to 1900 CFM. I will have to use adapters to get it hooked up, as it is 7 inch in and 7 inch out. I was looking at the K&N but after reading the test results on them I changed my mind. I think this filter will give better airflow than stock and better than the K&N (I have never heard what K&N claims), and hold more dirt before needing change. Hear is a link to the filter site
http://www.parker.co...nextcat=ECOLITE SERIES&vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextpartno=062891003&Wtky=FILTERS

Fleet pride is ordering the adapters that I need to connect the new filter. I probably won’t get the filter installed before I leave on a little trip next week so we will see if there is any difference with just the muffler.

Bill

After some investigation I have found out that the test that was written up was done in 2004 using the old cotton media.  This media performed well if properly oiled. In 2006  Mr Spicer was invited to K&N test labs, and he went and witnessed the testing procedure that they use.  They were using the synthetic media that does not require oil.  The result were quite different than what Mr, Spicer had witnessed in the other test.  The testing standard ISO 5011 Is just a test protocol for the test technician to use.  There will be some differences in the conclusions.  Since the main product that K&N manufactures is air filters I would think that they would build the finest product possible.

#10 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Why won't K&N release the air flow/ dirt stopping data?

I would think if it was superior it would be a great sales tool.

I would believe their claims if they had the testing done at a certified independent lab. I would like to see some of the oem air cleaners tested to give a comparison.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.

#11 thrushl

thrushl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm running the Aero muffler and the new K&N Air Filter. That gained me almost one MPG on my 515 Detroit. Had a friend who is a LAB tester by profession analyze the air flow and quality just before it entered the intake manifold.  The air flow increased and the quality (pp something he measures :-)  ) did not change under the five conditions he tested including a simulated dust storm. There was baby powder in the air and it looked like fog being sucked into the air filter. Yes, he cleaned it for me in the lab before I left.  

He did note that the air temp going into the intake manifold decreased by 7 degrees in all tests. He contributed that to the higher air flow of the K&N.

So, although the test were ran in an simulated real environment by a lab rat, I would not say it was TOTALLY scientific meaning that the results many be limited to my specific configuration and system.  BUT, I like it....

On a side note, it did not increase MPG based on my old man driving styles, but I had a turbo wrap installed and they thermal wrapped the exhaust all the way to the muffler, only about eight feet of pipe on my rig.  I brought down the temp in our bedroom which is over the engine compartment, makes for much quicker turbo spin-up (but I hardly notice with my driving style), and it makes my exhaust sound cool with the jake brake.  OK, this is not why I did it. It actually improves the scavenging effect of the exhaust allowing it to handle the extra air flow without increasing exhaust gas temps.  BUT it does sound cool  :-)

Cheers

Leo

"There are many things given to us in this life. What we do with such things; that is the true mark of a man!"

2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator

2007 Jeep Liberty in Coach Trailer

Traveling the country with two cats and a wife!

#12 ocglass

ocglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

I also tried improving the fuel efficiency with many ways in hand. But nothing of that sorts worked. Could anybody suggest something really working in this account.

#13 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Ocglass,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us what coach you have (GCW= Gross Combined Weight) if you have it.

Also, what engine and transmission you have.

What techniques/mechanical changes have you made in search of more MPG?  What MPG do you get-- best to look at average over several thousand miles?

What speed do you drive?  Mostly flat land, hills or mountains?

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

#14 herroncarl

herroncarl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

C12 Cat turbo

I have insulated the exhaust manifold and turbo with high temp wrapping. This was done on a 8V92 Detroit I had with over 200,000 mi on it and no problems. Its my understanding this helps the performance. 

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Carl

I guess this was the wrong place to ask this question.

#15 deenad

deenad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I installed a full Banks kit on our DSDP 4090 w/Cummins ISC 350 some years ago. Never noticed any improvement in fuel mileage but the power definitely was an improvement!

Now I need to look at improving the filter as a new filter shows 15 under normal conditions and if I let it run out it goes even higher. Problem is that the intake plumbing all the way through is 6" and I need to really look at what I have room to do.

Deen
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 4090 350/1050 W/Banks (now 435/1200)
Towing an '05 Honda Odyssey four down
RV'ing since 1957
FMCA f47302s
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

#16 thrushl

thrushl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

C12 Cat turbo

I have insulated the exhaust manifold and turbo with high temp wrapping. This was done on a 8V92 Detroit I had with over 200,000 mi on it and no problems. Its my understanding this helps the performance. 

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Carl

I guess this was the wrong place to ask this question.

Thanks for posting this.  I too have read and talked to folks that say this wrapping helps, but then others seem to say no.  Glad to hear that you are having sucess. 

"There are many things given to us in this life. What we do with such things; that is the true mark of a man!"

2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator

2007 Jeep Liberty in Coach Trailer

Traveling the country with two cats and a wife!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users