• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buttster

buttster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Warning to anyone thinking that a locking "tow-pin" system will be of any security or deterrent to tampering

After purchasing a Blue Ox's Tow Pin Lock System for security reasons, I found out via a fellow RV'er that they are not as secure as I assumed. We had the unfortunate "pleasure" of one lock being removed (borrowed) at a Truck Stop. This could have resulted in a serious accident on the Interstate, but fortunately it came apart on the ramp prior. Yes I should have checked, but it's a lock. It seems that 1 key is used for all these lock sets. As after this incident I purchased a new set which came with, yes the same previous key number of the "borrowed lock".
I did pass this information onto Blue Ox, but there has been no acknowledgement.

#2 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

The same thing is true with baggage door locks, quite a few have the same keys. I changed mine when I first got my current coach.

#3 rxatkin

rxatkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

What did it cost to replace the baggage locks?

#4 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

As I recall it was about $5 a piece. They are all keyed alike, just not like the three series thats common in the industry.

#5 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have gotten into the habit of double checking the locking caps on my Blue Ox locking pins when hooking up.

Recently, for some reason after hooking up, I rechecked the locking pins, and found one locking cap that I must not have put enough pressure on and it was not fully seated on the locking pin.

Although it appeared locked, and I believed I had locked the cap on the pin, it wasn't, and would have fallen off.

All locking pins get double checked after hooking up the toad.

#6 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I have gotten into the habit of double checking the locking caps on my Blue Ox locking pins when hooking up.

Recently, for some reason after hooking up, I rechecked the locking pins, and found one locking cap that I must not have put enough pressure on and it was not fully seated on the locking pin.

Although it appeared locked, and I believed I had locked the cap on the pin, it wasn't, and would have fallen off.

All locking pins get double checked after hooking up the toad.

I had the same thing happen several years ago. In my case the pin was still in but had worked out part way and the lock part was gone.

I went back to the hitch pin type pins and check them when I get ready to leave after stopping to make make sure no one has messed with them.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#7 skitterguy

skitterguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I purchased a used 1997 Jeep Wrangler and plan to tow it, any advise on what type of tow bar system is better and brake system I should purchase. I checked out Camper World and they gave me a price of $2000 for total package including installation which included a braking device under the driver seat.

#8 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I would go with Roadmaster. Free service at the rallies.

#9 RVerOnTheMove

RVerOnTheMove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I have had the Road master and the Blue Ox tow bars and I prefer the operation and longevity of the Blue Ox system. Yes, they charge me $25 for a check up, cleaning and adjustment at the rallies but I am OK with that as I prefer their system.
I have also used base plates from Blue OX, Road master and a custom built unit. I don't see any particular advantage to one over the other, just get a matching base or a base for which ever company makes one for your toad. Currently I have a Road master base with a Blue Ox adapter on my vehicle.
Bill

#10 JimM68

JimM68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Skitterguy, Blue ox make a set of bumper mount tow bar brackets that cost $52 when I bought them 3 years ago.

Note that a stout aftermarket bumper is needed, the stock sheet metal bumper ain't gonna hack it. Mine ois from rockcrusher, and is all welded 1/8" steel plate.
Those brackets will mate with any good motorhome mounted tow bar. I used a Blue ox Alladin (bought used)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users