• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goncolgo

goncolgo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Has anyone experienced the windshield separating from its rubber seal? 1994 Damon Challenger, 34 foot diesel pusher.

I have an open gap at the lower corners of my windshields, about 6-8" in length and as much as 1/4 inch in width. It might have been from exposure to the heat experienced in Mexico?

Not sure how to approach repairing it. Should I attempt it or go to a glass shop?

If anyone has a recommendation of a good and reasonable glass shop in the Santa Rosa, CA area,or within 100 miles, please recommend.

Don't know if windshield has to be completely removed or if there is a method for me to get things back in order without removal of glass?

#2 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Is the windshield still solidly attached. If so you can get new rubber and use a black silicone type material to attach the rubber trim. Thats how the glass company did mine after replacing the windshields.

#3 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

This issue turns up no a number of coaches. I have had the same problem with mine.
The way I have mine repaired is to have the windshield removed and replaced. (R an R) The cost out of pocket for me has been $100.00 to remove and replace the windshield using the same seal. This is on a coach with a split windshield.
The seals can dry out over time and become stiff. Some times the opening is a little over sized and the seals will slowly separate from the fiberglass as the coach flexes.
A good glass shop should be able to give you a good idea, on how to fix the opening.

Rich.

#4 RVerOnTheMove

RVerOnTheMove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have seen this reported often when levelers were being used. If not used properly, some levelers can twist the coach enough to deform the shape of the windshield area and allow the glass to slide out of the rubber moldings. If you are seeing this at all times, even when the unit is on flat, level ground I think you should contact Damon and ask them if this is a common issue and how the repairs should be addressed. Damon may have done some modifications to the rubber or the glass if this problem is not unique.
Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users