Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Smart Car Four Down Towing

towing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warren1947

Warren1947

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Has anyone towed a Smart Car four down ? 2009 Passion Cabriolet for Two.

#2 hclark6345

hclark6345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

We towed a 2008 Smart Passion Cabrolet for about 10,000 miles behind a 27 foot Freedom Express Class C.

We towed four down, with Evenbrake supplemental braking.

It towed very well behind the motorhome, even in the mountains. We had no problems with the Smart and were very happy with it.
There were a few tall topes ( think giant speed bumps ) in Baja Mexico where the Smart's low ground clearance caused me to worry, but we got over them easily.

#3 tomkathymanoff

tomkathymanoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

We have a 32ft Rexhall A Motorhome. We have been looking at the Smart for a tow. How are they to tow? Any suggestions for us first timers. Equipment recommended etc. I guess we just want to know the pros and cons and everything we need to know.

We don't want to get into something and have trouble.

Thanks for all help. kjym@comcast.net

#4 ahepburn51

ahepburn51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

We've had our smart car since they first became available in 2008, and we've been towing it behind our motorhome since new. We use a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar, and use a bungee cord on the steering wheel to help keep the steering stable when towing. Starting with the 2009 model smart recommended adding a battery cutoff switch to prevent inadvertent ignition activation during towing, but we've never had a problem.

Alan & Sandy Hepburn - Proud to be a Blue Star Family

San Jose, Ca, USA

RV: 2007 Bounder 35E Workhorse

toad: 2008 smart car or 2006 Ural Tourist

FMCA Member #F431612

#5 whalewatcher

whalewatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

We have pulled a 2009 smart car since 2009 for 30000 miles behind 28ft Allegro with Roadmaster Falcon towbar. Orginally no problem but recently front wheels wobble after sharp turns so now use bunge cord. No extra braking system is used. Installed battery cutoff switch but have not used it. Do not start car every night and have not had any battery problems.Only problem is when you want to go out to dinner with guests-Taxi or two cars. 

#6 marthabarnes

marthabarnes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have 2 SmartCars.  Both are 2013.  I have towed SmartCars for about 5 years and have had no problems.  My husband has the convertible and I have "plain Jane".

We both use Roadmaster and do not have any problems with the wheels not staying straight.  We do not use any brake system or battery disconnect.  

I have a 35' Fleetwood Terra LX and he has a 16'' Roadtrek.

I have some friends that use BlueOx and they both have to use bungie-cords to keep the front wheels straight.

SmartCar is an ideal tow vehicle.  I also carry a disability cart in the SmartCar.  

Martha Barnes, yrosef3291@aol.com, 321-501-0301

Martha Barnes, F0003291
Merritt Island, FL
Fleetwood Terra LX, 35', 2 slides
Travels 1, eats 1, sleeps 1
Just Smelling The Roses
yrosef3291@aol.com
www.thefmcachallengers.com
The Challengers Chapter of FMCA

#7 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

Roadmaster products are very well engineered and manufactured in house in the USA.  I was just at the Redmond FMCA convention and they are still doing courtesy inspections and maintenance. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: towing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users