5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyShane

AndyShane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

I didn't realize this problem is so common in cars, and I've been putting up with it for two weeks.

The switch has four speed settings; nothing happens until High is selected.

In the course of troubleshooting, I erroneously decided the switch was at fault using a multimeter, and found a replacement at the local Napa store for $20.  

You can already guess: the problem persists with the new switch.  That pretty much narrows the search down to the blower motor resistor; but, finding it has been a challenge.

I introduced the problem at iRV2 last night, and a fine guy immediately proposed l look atop the plenum, sent a photo.  

Well, Beaver owners, there is a challenge here: our Canadian friends have wedged the connector against the underside of the dash.  Then, to compound the difficulty, someone has encased my resistor pack in a huge mass of expanding foam.

Has anyone done this procedure?  Any tips?

As the repair progresses, I'll post news so that future owners can be spared the spooling up I've endured...

The AC unit was made by Specific Climate Systems of Fort Worth, amazingly.  Not fifteen miles away, as the crow flies.  However, they have apparently gone out of business.

2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester44 III C13 Caterpillar 525hp with Silverleaf system; using a Roadmaster 2000-1 to pull a Prius, or a CargoCraft Dragster with a Lexus IS250C inside.
Defected from iRV2 in March 2012 after that forum suffered an outbreak of political bullying; once again contributing there as RVNeophytes2 effective Feb 6, 2013.

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yes, the resistor is the common Gremlin when you have high fan speed, but no lower speeds.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yes Andy I have replaced quite a few resistor in autos. And it was right there in plain sight on the right side firewall in the plenum. Is your between the plenum and wall in your entrance under the dash? If so it may be a job removing not only the foam but the screws also. Good luck and be careful.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#4 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Andy, The resistor is the bad boy in most cases.  With it being wedged between the blower housing and the dash, could you remove the blower housing; cut through the foam with a knife and remove the assembly so you can work on it. 

Anything in your photo files yet?

Rich.

#5 donfultz

donfultz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

New to FMCA, tire deal attracted me.  I had the same symptoms on aonn 05 VECTRA.  Followed the same logic, switch  replacement and then the fan speed resistor without any affect.  Finally replaced the fan speed relay and this did the trick-all speeds back.

#6 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi Don, welcome to FMCA !

Thanks for your feedback.

Rich.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan, blower, dashboard, switch, resistor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users