Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Door Latch Broken 0n 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMarie

MikeMarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

We came back to the RV and the door would not open.  The latch seemed to pull properly but the pin did not pull out of the door frame.  We got into the coach by way of the front door.  I was able to get the inside cover on the latch off and discovered that the pin that slides into the door frame to hold the door closed was broken and I was not able to pull out the broken part.  I did, however take off the moulding on the latch side of the door and move the latch into the door. 

There does not appear to be anything holding the door but I still cannot open it.  I could not pull the outside cover off of the door or get the full latch out. It is, of course, screwed to the door.  I can't see anything holding the door in place yet I still cannot open it. 

Any suggestions?  We can enter and exit the coach from the front so that is not really a problem but we really would like to get the door working again.

Mike...

#2 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Mike, Could you post 2 or 3 pictures to your thread of the internal portion of the assembly and any numbers that are on the cover or other parts of the unit.

Rich.

#3 MikeMarie

MikeMarie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I finally got the door open by virtually destroying the latch mechanism, ordered the replacement on line from PPL in Texas and it is now back to normal. 

Mike...

#4 zorro2kita

zorro2kita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

What brand latch was it ?  Who is PPL ??

2003 Pace Arrow - 37A Workhorse Chassis 8.1L Vortec engine - Toad - 2009 Saturn Vue - Pilot - Nick Co-Pilot - Sandy

#5 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I can help with the PPL part of the question:  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Huge in consignment coaches, service and especially in parts. In Houston, TX.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users