Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Valve Stem Extensions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DWAYNECHERAMIE

DWAYNECHERAMIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I've heard a lot about whether or not to use valve stem extensions for my rear inside tires,but knowing how important tire pressure is, wanting to add the extensions just to make it a little easier to check pressure since I do it pretty frequently.

Wanting input as far as what brand/type extension should I use?

Any recommendations??

#2 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

I went to a truck tire store and had them put in the correct metal rigid extensons on all rear tires . They handle thousands of tires every year and I followed their reccomendations ... Work great for my Pressure Pro sensors on them. 

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#3 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Solid metal extentions are the best.  I would also have a TPMS system such a Tire Minder.  They work great.

#4 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

If you have a Workhorse or Ford chassis I would get DuallyValve solid metal extensions.

They come with rubber grommets that fit in the handhold to provide support for the extension. This is really valuable if you have tire pressure sensors.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#5 nitehawk

nitehawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

The valve extensions that were on our coach when we bought the coach cost us over $650.00!!

The extensions were addons to the existing inside reqar valve stems. The added weight was enough to fatigue and crack the regular valve stems where the thread ends. Road service: $90. New tire, valve stem, and removal and replacement in our driveway: over $560.00

We now have one piece, longer valve stems on the inside duals, a long straight air chuck and air gage to reach in.

STAY AWAY FROM ADDING AN "EXTENSION"....One piece supported longer valve stems are OK.

#6 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

The solid extensions I had installed at Southside Tire cost me $5.00 each - installed..... have worked great for 4 years.

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#7 Tireman9

Tireman9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

General comment on extensions. When I was racing I towed with 1-Ton dually and had steel braided extensions. Ran about 78,000 miles with no problems. When I got my Class-C my first add-on was TPMS followed by steel braided extensions. With only 16,000 miles no problems.

Now there are TWO main things that I would consider a MUST. First you need bolt in metal valves. Second you need a hard attaching point on the outer end of the hose to prevent movement of the hoses. The hoses come in different lengths so you should run the shortest hoses that allow you to easily bolt the end down and you need to support the end of the hose when pushing on it with your tire gauge or air chuck.

I can only guess as to why a metal valve would fatigue as without significant movement of the hose there should not be enough to stress the valve stem. Metal valve stems should be replaced or at least have all the rubber O-rings and gaskets replaced whenever you change a tire. The rubber parts age just as the rubber on your tire ages. Replacing when you replace tires eliminates the need of keeping track of the age of the O-rings and seals. There is a rubber interior to the hose and this will also age so when I replace my tires I will get new hose extenders along with new valve rubber parts.

I have seen spring clips that are supposed to retain the steel braided hose but they don't look too solid to me. I have not looked at the rubber "grommet" that fits the hand holes but have to wonder if they hold the braided steel line solidly. Clearly they do not support the hose end so there will definitely be some movement.

You can see in my set-up that I have the hose firmly attached to my hub cap. I do hold the extender hose when ever using a gauge or air chuck.

209qedy.jpg

Retired Tire Design and Quality Engineer (40 years experience).
Retired Professional race car driver.
Retired Police Driving Instructor.
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Delivered Tire Seminar for RV owners & two seminars on Genealogy at FMCA Bowling Green 2009, Madison 2011,

Indy 2012, and Perry 2014

I am scheduled to present two seminars on RV Tires & Three on Genealogy at Redmond, OR  in August

See my blog www.RVTireSafety.com and subscribe if you want notice of new posts.

#8 DWAYNECHERAMIE

DWAYNECHERAMIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE GOOD INFO.        DWAYNE

#9 parmm

parmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I have Alcoa aluminum wheels.  The extensions on current 1994 coach were junk when I purchased it used.  I replaced them with solid extensions from Alcoa.  They have many different types and styles for their aluminum wheels.  You can see them at http://www.alcoa.com...ilizer_kits.asp  Do some searching on their site as they also have some other options such as different length valve stems. I figure that if Alcoa sells them for their wheels, they should be good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users