Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Roof

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeborahHeinz

DeborahHeinz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

Yesterday while preparing the motorhome for the season I found that a branch had landed on the roof and made a hole about the size of a quarter.  The roof is the one piece rubber membrane.  The hole is small but pierced the membrane and the plywood below it.  How should this be repaired?

#2 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

A few years ago had somethig similar, except a big tree branch did $5k damage

Insurance comp covered claim less deductible.

A quarter size hole could cost many times that. I would file the comp claim and let a roofing pro fix it. Insurance companies I had provide warranty on repair if using one of their provided repair facilities.

Jmho and what I woud do if it was my problem. Future water damage could far exceed the cost of comp deductible if not repaired properly. Comp claim does not count as an at fault accident.

Again, jmho.

2006 Allegro 34WA Open Roads 8.1L Workhorse W20

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

The answer depends on how much water damage has been done.  Any water--damaged area will need to be repaired.

If there is little water damage to the plywood, you can get some self leveling calk compatible with your roof material and simply seal the hole.  Or if damage is more extensive, you could be looking at the more extensive repairs Xplorer detailed.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Use Dicor self leveling caulk.   They make a patch kit for that type of repair.  Very easy to do.

#5 DeborahHeinz

DeborahHeinz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for all of the responses! There does not appear to be any water damage and I am hoping the self leveling caulk will put this experience behind me. Thanks again for the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users