Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Tag Axles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skyking8

skyking8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am considering buying a 35' Cruise Air 1997.  It has a tag axle.  I thought that unusual since it is a gas powered RV.  I have never owned a MH with a tag axle and don't know much about them or their intended use.  Is it something I should put in the positive or negative column?

Alfa See Ya
Retired Military
ARS: W4OET

The older I get the more I
listen to people who don't
talk much.

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Older gas rigs had low GVWR's (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings).  So coach makers added a tag axle.  This vintage coach will also have the older generation engine (460 if ford vs V10 or 454 vs 8.1) and less economical transmission (number of speeds and lock up features became more common in newer years.

Now, the opinion part-- I would not want that long a coach on the old-generation chassis.

Of course, at some price, it may be just what you are looking for.

Which brings up another way to approach the search-- what are your "wants" in a coach and what do you want to spend.  That will give us a better idea of how to comment on choices that meet YOUR needs.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 skyking8

skyking8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Wolfe.  I am looking to replace a 40' DP that I full timed in with one that I will be doing 'recreational' trips.  I've got it down to three possibles one of which is another, shorter DP.  This one does have the 460 but with only 26K miles.and cosmetically is excellent. This is a buyers market so price is low.  But, one gets what they pay for so any that I choose will go to an RV shop for full check out. 

I understand the explanation of the tag axle. In essence, it is like the axles on a 5W. No drive, just weight distribution and balance. One of my concerns that isn't mechanical is the noise factor of the engine being up front.  I got pretty spoiled with a DP. 

Please expand on your opinion part. You can't hurt my feelings. I'm looking for discriminators. 

Alfa See Ya
Retired Military

talk much.

#4 JMonroe

JMonroe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

35' wouldn't bother me, especially with a tag.  It's when you start getting up to 37' or beyond that I think it gets scary.

We've had two gas coaches, one @ 36', the other @ 35', neither with a tag.  The 36' was a '91 with the Ford 460.  Performance was not an issue, although fuel economy was nothing to write home about (6 to 6.5 towing a GEO Tracker).

2011 American Revolution 42W
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad

Somewhere out there...

#5 skyking8

skyking8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for all the comments. We can close this discussion.  I bought a pre-owned DP which doesn't have a tag axle. 

Alfa See Ya
Retired Military

talk much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users