Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Dual-Pane Windows Necessary for Cold-Weather RVing?

double pane windows dual pane windows advantages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmonline

jmonline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I am buying for the first time a 35-foot RV.

I would like to travel to visit cold areas as well.

Should double-pane windows be a MUST?

Josh

#2 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Years ago when we went skiing and were parked in a snow bank, I got some 1/2 inch styrofoam sheets and cut out pieces that would just fit into the window frames and the windshield (the largest glass area).  It reduced my propane usage by 1/2 and the furnace would cycle and still maintain close to 70 with the outside about 0-10.  I cut the stryofoam with an electric kitchen knife.

#3 JMonroe

JMonroe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

You'll either have to line your single panes as "desertdeals69" describes, or deal with a LOT of moisture.

If you have the option, get the double panes.

2011 American Revolution 42W
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad

Somewhere out there...

#4 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

The only problem with dual panes is the windshield which is massive  is only single pane.

#5 RSchleder

RSchleder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

We had dual pane windows in our 2005 Allegro Bus which, in my opinion, is necessary for extensive cold weather camping. The only problem with dual pane windows is that in some brands of HM's, they have a tendency to lose their seal and fog up. We had several of our windows on our Bus fog and it typically costs $400-$600 to have the defective windows replaced. You might want to check out the brand you are buying to find out their history with this problem. Most manufacturers warrant the windows for 3-5 years so I'd also check on the warranty period. 

PS- The front curtains pulled across the windshield will help keep the cold out of the living area of the coach. My guess is you'll also find out that the floors are cold in most MH's during "winter camping" times. A heated floor would be great so you may also want to see if the brand you buy has that feature as standard or an option. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users