Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Towing a 1991 Chevy Suburban

dinghy towing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dunedoc

dunedoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Can you tow a 1991 Chevy Suburban 4WD, auto trans. Cannot find the list of towable vehicles for 1991. If I put transfer case in neutral and trans in neutral with the key in acc mode is it safe? Using BlueOx rated 10,000lbs tow bar.

Thanks E

#2 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

E,

Welcome to the Forum.

I towed a 03 Yukon for many miles. With your GM 4 X 4 all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in park. Check to see if you have a steering Wheel lock. If you don't turn the key off take it out and lock the car. If you do, I would go to a mechanic and have him remove the Steering Wheel locking pin. I can't remember if you have an electronic speedometer. if you do you will rack up miles with the key on. ( I am not sure about the acc. position.) You will need a braking system of some kind. You didn't say what your coach is. Is it large enough to tow a 5,200 lb vehicle?

Good Luck and Happy towing.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins
Whitewright, TEXAS
F302225
'02 Monaco Dynasty
40 ft 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
US Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#3 dunedoc

dunedoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Herman,

Thanks for the help. I plan to use 40ft Safari Continental diesel pusher to tow the Suburban.

I appreciate your advice, thanks for taking the time.

Eric P

New FMCA member

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dinghy towing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users