• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SnowT

SnowT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hi new to Forum's, planing and Doing a heap of reading on RV's and Truck's..

One of the issue that I have been doing a heap of reading on is the economic of driving large RV's/truck's over distance..

I'm not sure if you have come across this site..

http://www.airflowtruck.com/

Well I did and some of the ideas that has been posted here sound very Good..

So the Question is...

Has anyone replaced or seen an RV that has replaced the original RV dual rear tires with a Super Single tire.??.

Juergen

Psst

I would Love to see a Large RV on the Road that uses the above mentioned design..

#2 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

One major concern with going to only one tire rather than dual is if... if you do have a failure / blowout, you have no possible way to avoid major damage even beyond just replacing a tire ??

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#3 Markstella

Markstella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

I see that it seems to be a trend with trucks today.  It has to save $$ on toll roads.  I'm thinking they run cooler then the smaller single tire.  Also, the ride must be smoother.  I'm sure that it will hit the RV market some day.

#4 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I haven't encountered any toll roads that charge by tire, all that I have seen charge by the number of axles and that wouldn't change.  I don't think I have seen trucks running with the super single anywhere except with dual axles.  In that case, after a blow out three tires would remain and would keep the trailer from going down to the rim if stopped in time.  Also, a blow out on a truck doesn't cause the kind of damage that a blow out on a motor home can cause.

I would hesitate to go to a single tire with our coach, we only have one set of duals on the rear and no tag so a flat would leave us running on the rim in the rear.  With that weight I would imagine that it would destroy the rim and who knows what else.  We had a flat (blow  out) on the rear last year and it took out about 15 feet of fiberglass around and behind the wheel position.  I think I'll stick with the duals.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#5 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

I believe that it only comes in one diameter so if it is not your size it could present some problems.

#6 Tireman9

Tireman9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Super single, which I believe is a trade name, is not a new technology asa I worked on similar tire designs in early 70's. The main issue is that the cost of replacing tires & wheels when used does not work out but if the vehicle manufacturer applies new the saving in fuel does pay for the added up front cost when you are looking at the life of a set of truck duals.

I don't think we will see this option be of value till diesel get higher due to RV shorter life.

Retired Tire Design and Quality Engineer (40 years experience).
Retired Professional race car driver.
Retired Police Driving Instructor.
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Delivered Tire Seminar for RV owners & two seminars on Genealogy at FMCA Bowling Green 2009, Madison 2011,

Indy 2012, and Perry & Redmond 2014

I hope to present two seminars on RV Tires & Three on Genealogy at Madison, WI  in August 2015

See my blog www.RVTireSafety.com and subscribe if you want notice of new posts.

#7 bsmi021b

bsmi021b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ok folks since most of us here running a motorhome are not fulltime or long haul drivers I went to the real source about this issue of singles or duals, now all of you need to understand I did not know the real answer either but I think the people who run them all over the US might so read about this topic at www.overdriveonline.com/readers-mixed-on-wide-single-tires/ And see how to answer this with real info and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users