25 replies to this topic

#1 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am looking to upgrade from a 2002 Journey to something bigger. I would like to be able to comfortably tow 10,000. 3 slides would be nice. I would like to buy from a dealer, as I would like to trade in my current coach.

I am finding a lot of coaches that I like and that fit the bill, (price and size) but I am having trouble narrowing it down and I really would like to find a dealer I could trust that has a lot of inventory. I have found some big dealers out there, (like Lazy Days) just not sure who to trust.

Looking for wisdom.

Thanks so much.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

and pearl, (Abbie's Maltese) :)  

#2 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

David,

Welcome to the Forum. Give Paul Davis a look. His company is Mr Olivers. Check out his web site: http://mrolivers.com/ He has quite a few coaches to view.

Also check out Motor Homes of Texas: http://motorhomesoftexas.com. David has some really nice coaches. Your will have a hard time finding two better dealers.

Paul or David.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

David,

No matter how honest a dealer is, it is always good to keep in mind that it is still YOUR responsibility to check all systems on the coach and  negotiate in writing and upgrades or repairs that are needed.

It is also important to know the difference between an "as is" coach and a "please camp with us for a couple of days and we will be happy to fix anything that you find wrong". That does not separate a good from bad dealer, most dealerships have BOTH categories of coaches.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

David, welcome to the forum.

There are many levels of dealers out there. The more you know the more of the right questions you know to ask the better your experience will be.

The people I bought from were at least honest enough when I asked a question they didn’t try to BS me. I asked if they did any kind of check out on new stock when they got it in. They told me they just checked the oil to see if it was full and basically just tried all the appliances. Yet when I found a couple of things they jumped in and fixed them. 

Don’t be shy about trying out EVERYTHING. Once you hand them the check and sign the papers they have a hard time hearing you. Don’t be so in love with it that you can’t say when you get this fixed/ working call me.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#5 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Fantastic advise. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks. I am so glad I joined. I tell my children all of the time..."get wisdom from someone who has been there before" whether it's about buying a new RV or the best place to eat, or dating...wisdom  from someone who has been there before will minimize wrong choices.

Thank you again for the advice and the links.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#6 AprilWhine

AprilWhine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

We certainly agree with the recomendation of Paul Davis. We bought used from him, stayed on the lot in the coach for almost a week, and anything we found wrong was fixed on the spot. We rolled out with the coach, and have had no problems in 3 years. Batteries and tires do not count.

Not a large dealer by any means, buys good coaches at a good price, and passes the savings to the customer.

#7 RSchleder

RSchleder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

You won't beat these folks. 1 mile from the Winnebago Factory in Forest city, Ia. 

http://www.lichtsinn.com

#8 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

We were full time on the road for almost 10 years.  During those 10 years we occasionally needed repairs and contacted a number of different dealers for assistance as we were never near the dealer we purchased our motor home from.  Our original dealer cleared their books in a bankruptcy filing and made it clear that all previous obligations no longer applied.  We never went back to them for anything.  In all those years, one dealer stands out in our minds as being willing and helpful to a traveler who hasn't purchased a coach from them.  If they are willing to take care of us under those circumstances, we'll go to them for our next coach.

It is a long way from Vermont but we would highly recommend Paul Everet's RV Country.  We have visited the shop in Fresno, CA several times and always been treated fairly.  They also have facilities in Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona.  You can find them on the web at http://www.rvcountry.com/ 

That said, if you live in Vermont and travel mostly locally, choosing a dealer so far away that you would likely never get back to them for follow up work would not be wise.  We have a daughter in California and travel through CA each fall.  For us, an annual visit to take care of problems would be workable.  Your challenge then would be to find a dealer in the New England area with a good inventory and a good reputation among their customers. 

As mentioned above, dealerships do change.  Sometimes they are sold, sometimes they go bankrupt, times change and they have to deal with the reality of making a business work.  The dealer who is excellent today may vanish tomorrow.  Our own manufacturer, Monaco, is going through it's second change of hands in five years.  At least the company still exists in some form, many manufacturers simply ceased to exist after the economy crashed at the end of 2008. 

There is great advice from previous posters.  Good luck.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#9 WhiteEagle

WhiteEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Another great dealer would be Kings Campers in Wausau WI .. Noth Central WI area but many folks from around the country are repeat customers... we swithched to them for current coach  - many satisfied customers for many years.I

2009 Allegro Bus 40 QSP-Powerglide-Cummins ISL 8.9L DP-Allison 3000 6speed-2 stage Jake EB-Pressure Pro -Blue Ox Plate, Bar, Patriot Braking system-XtraRide Platinum Warranty FMCA Badgers-Allegro Club WAW- -CoachNet Platinum Roadside-Progressive Insur.

Everything's Relative - Unless Something Changes, Nothing Will

#10 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Fantastic! I'm checking these leads out now.

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#11 southernrebels

southernrebels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

We traded with www.daybrosrvsales.com in London Ky.  Good selection of Used DP, trade was best we found.

Family owned dealer great service after the sell.

#12 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

We traded with www.daybrosrvsales.com in London Ky.  Good selection of Used DP, trade was best we found.

Family owned dealer great service after the sell.

thank you

I will check out their site

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#13 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

David,

Welcome to the Forum. Give Paul Davis a look. His company is Mr Olivers. Check out his web site: http://mrolivers.com/ He has quite a few coaches to view.

Also check out Motor Homes of Texas: http://motorhomesoftexas.com. David has some really nice coaches. Your will have a hard time finding two better dealers.

Paul or David.

Herman

Hi Herman,

Thank you for the welcome. This "Newbie" just learned how to reply to a post. I'll get it.......

Your info is most helpful.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#14 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

David,

No matter how honest a dealer is, it is always good to keep in mind that it is still YOUR responsibility to check all systems on the coach and  negotiate in writing and upgrades or repairs that are needed.

It is also important to know the difference between an "as is" coach and a "please camp with us for a couple of days and we will be happy to fix anything that you find wrong". That does not separate a good from bad dealer, most dealerships have BOTH categories of coaches.

Thanks Brett,

Thanks for the info.

This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#15 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

We were full time on the road for almost 10 years.  During those 10 years we occasionally needed repairs and contacted a number of different dealers for assistance as we were never near the dealer we purchased our motor home from.  Our original dealer cleared their books in a bankruptcy filing and made it clear that all previous obligations no longer applied.  We never went back to them for anything.  In all those years, one dealer stands out in our minds as being willing and helpful to a traveler who hasn't purchased a coach from them.  If they are willing to take care of us under those circumstances, we'll go to them for our next coach.

It is a long way from Vermont but we would highly recommend Paul Everet's RV Country.  We have visited the shop in Fresno, CA several times and always been treated fairly.  They also have facilities in Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona.  You can find them on the web at http://www.rvcountry.com/ 

That said, if you live in Vermont and travel mostly locally, choosing a dealer so far away that you would likely never get back to them for follow up work would not be wise.  We have a daughter in California and travel through CA each fall.  For us, an annual visit to take care of problems would be workable.  Your challenge then would be to find a dealer in the New England area with a good inventory and a good reputation among their customers. 

As mentioned above, dealerships do change.  Sometimes they are sold, sometimes they go bankrupt, times change and they have to deal with the reality of making a business work.  The dealer who is excellent today may vanish tomorrow.  Our own manufacturer, Monaco, is going through it's second change of hands in five years.  At least the company still exists in some form, many manufacturers simply ceased to exist after the economy crashed at the end of 2008. 

There is great advice from previous posters.  Good luck.

Sorry for the delayed reply, This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post. Yes, it seems I am finding, what I would call, a fair amount of honest dealers out their. I'm on the hunt for the right coach. It seems there are too many to choose from.

I do have many requirements but I am finding many I like, but waiting for the one that really fits the bill and that we love.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#16 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

Another great dealer would be Kings Campers in Wausau WI .. Noth Central WI area but many folks from around the country are repeat customers... we swithched to them for current coach  - many satisfied customers for many years.I

Sorry for the delayed reply, This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post.

Checked their site yesterday. I will keep it on the list.

Thank you

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#17 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

David, welcome to the forum.

There are many levels of dealers out there. The more you know the more of the right questions you know to ask the better your experience will be.

The people I bought from were at least honest enough when I asked a question they didn’t try to BS me. I asked if they did any kind of check out on new stock when they got it in. They told me they just checked the oil to see if it was full and basically just tried all the appliances. Yet when I found a couple of things they jumped in and fixed them. 

Don’t be shy about trying out EVERYTHING. Once you hand them the check and sign the papers they have a hard time hearing you. Don’t be so in love with it that you can’t say when you get this fixed/ working call me.

Bill

Bill,

Sorry for the delayed reply, This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post. Fantastic advise. I've been reading the forum for a few weeks. I am so glad I joined. I tell my children all of the time..."get wisdom from someone who has been there before" whether it's about buying a new RV or the best place to eat, or dating...wisdom  from someone who has been there before will minimize wrong choices.

Thank you again for the advice and the links.

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#18 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

We certainly agree with the recomendation of Paul Davis. We bought used from him, stayed on the lot in the coach for almost a week, and anything we found wrong was fixed on the spot. We rolled out with the coach, and have had no problems in 3 years. Batteries and tires do not count.

Not a large dealer by any means, buys good coaches at a good price, and passes the savings to the customer.

Sorry for the delayed reply, This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post. Yes I have added their site to my watch list.

Thank you

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#19 vtdave

vtdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

You won't beat these folks. 1 mile from the Winnebago Factory in Forest city, Ia. 

http://www.lichtsinn.com

Sorry for the delayed reply, This "Newbi" just learned how to reply to a post. We almost bought a Vectra from them, but someone got there first. Their on my watchlist 

Thank you

David

David

2002 Winnebago Journey

2012 Dodge 1500 Pick Up

#20 AndyShane

AndyShane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

David,

Paul or David.

Herman

One of my closest friends is a close friend of Paul's.  Howard says Paul is the best for finding a good rig.

2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester44 III C13 Caterpillar 525hp with Silverleaf system; using a Roadmaster 2000-1 to pull a Prius, or a CargoCraft Dragster with a Lexus IS250C inside.
Defected from iRV2 in March 2012 after that forum suffered an outbreak of political bullying; once again contributing there as RVNeophytes2 effective Feb 6, 2013.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users