• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarYJac04

MarYJac04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have been looking at a short Journey and ran across I nice 40 foot Monaco we really like.  It is both larger and has a bigger engine than we have ever thought we would consider.  The engine is a 400hp ISL9 and vehicle GVWR is 35000 lbs. 

Can anyone give me some idea of annual engine maintenance costs and what mileage I might expect; will be towing a CRV. 

I see oil changes are every 12 months and I am wondering if that is necessary when using synthetic oil, or can an oil analysis be used to determine change time?

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I will address the oil change question.

All diesel manufacturers recommend annual oil changes regardless of mileage. 

Can you go longer using oil analysis without harming the engine-- perhaps. Depends on a lot of factors such as humidity  and temperature where stored, highway vs short distance driving, number of miles etc. Disregarding manufacturer's written recommendations would be up to you.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 Wayne77590

Wayne77590

USMC (Ret)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I believe Cummins is 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever occurs first.  Then there is the chassis maintenance schedule based on miles and the manufacture web site has the schedule. example: Freightliner chassis.

I typically plan on 1000-1500 dollars each year if Freightliner does all the work. If you are able to do the oil/filter changes yourself and keep the receipts you can save money. Personally I prefer to have the experts do it because they can pick up little things that I may not notice.

Wayne, MSgt, USMC (Ret)

2008 Winnebago Destination

2013 Lincoln MKX

#4 MarYJac04

MarYJac04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thank you for the response, that is just about what I expected.  I have heard concern about purchasing an "orphaned" coach and was wondering if that is a valid concern.

#5 huling

huling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

You should change you oil at least once a year, so if you run less than than 15000 miles you can save a little money using a good brand name  diesel oil  ( sams club sells Shell Rotella T)  and buying your filters online from someone like truckhelp.com  Buy enough to get free shipping which by the time you get all you filters ( including generator ) and a spare set of fuel filters to carry with you, you should reach that . As far as mileage you should get somewhere between 8 and 9 mpg towing . It will tow your crv like its not even there.

#6 MarYJac04

MarYJac04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the additional information.  I have an additional question.  I test drove the the Camelot yesterday and was not able to determine if or how much the air suspension hieght raised after starting the engine.  After returning I watched for lowering the height off the ground when the engine was shut down or air dump switch was used. 

Should I be able to see this?  

How much difference in height should I expect?

#7 RSchleder

RSchleder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Our 2 diesel pushers dropped down around 6" when I dumped the air. I'm sure it varies from coach to coach but my opinion is 4"-8" and YES, you definitely can tell the difference in height when the air is dumped. 

#8 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

We have a 400 HP ISL, MH GW is 34,600 and we tow a CRV.  Overall MPG is around 8.  A headwind hurts our mileage worse than anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users