Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

CAT 3126 Oil Pressure Sender

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BrianB

BrianB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

My '97 Coach has a 3126 CAT and Allison 3060. After a long drive at freeway speeds when I slow down to city street speeds and then come to a stop at a light, sometimes I get either a Low Oil light or Low Oil Level light along with a warning chime. The light goes off and the warning chime stops after a few seconds. The gauge also reads low.

This has gone on since I have owned the coach. I have had three oil and filter changes so far. Oil testing shows all normal and no evidence of wear. Engine has only 45K miles. I called CAT some time ago and they said that it should not be a problem as the engine will stop if there is no oil pressure.

I think it might be a bad sending unit. I don't see where the sender is located on the passenger side or I just don't recognize it.

I am also going to install a mechanical gauge and see what that reads compared to the dash gauge.

I have never had a CEL come on and never had the engine de-rate or stop running.

Any ideas on what could be the problem and where the sender is located?

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Good idea to double check with mechanical gauge.

Your chassis maker chose and installed the sender unit for the dash gauges.  Check with them for it's location.  But, yes, it is generally on the passenger's side of the engine.

And, as the Caterpillar  tech told you, if oil pressure is too low, the engine will just quit running, as oil pressure is used to "power" the fuel injection.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users