Greetings, I had spoken with someone at a campground in June in Massachusetts they had a brand new 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited. They had told me about the manual being wrong. As I am getting close to delivery of my Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel I sought to review the situation. Thank you for your report, I did a google search and came right to here.
It does seem like they have made some changes since your edition was published; what Edition was it? I am guessing the first. I don't think they have perfected it though, what areas are still wrong? I think, from what you said only the message part is wrong now.
Also, the main reason it is completely different this year(BTW the version in your manual didn't even apply to last year), is the new electronic 8 speed transmission. One thing is, there is no physical linkage between the shift lever and the transmission.
Below is the current way the Fourth Edition of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners manual shows the procedure for shifting the transfer case into neutral for recreational towing:
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, with the engine running.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
4. If vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, ensure the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height.
5. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds. The light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete. A “FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM IN NEUTRAL” message will display on the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.
6. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
9. Shift the transmission back into NEUTRAL
10. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL, press and hold the ENGINE START/STOP button until the engine turns off. Turning the engine off will automatically place the transmission in PARK.
11. Press the ENGINE STOP/START button again (without pressing the brake pedal), if needed, to turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
12. Firmly apply the parking brake.
13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.
• Steps 1 through 4 are requirements that must be met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met before pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the shift, then the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.
• The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.
• A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.
• If the vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension, the engine should be started and left running for a minimum of 60 seconds (with all the doors closed) at least once every 24 hours. This process allows the air suspension to adjust the vehicle’s ride height to compensate for temperature effects.