5 replies to this topic

#1 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

I know this may open a big controversy but what do you think is the best tow bar and base plate and why.

Going to tow 2014 CRV.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#2 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

When we started towing four wheels down I purchased a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar set-up complete with supplemental and break-away braking and a Guardian shield to reduce rock damage to the toad.  The first one gave up after about 80,000 miles towing.  To be honest, I did back up with it a few times and that finally resulted in its failure.  I sent it back to the factory and they gave me a deal on a re-manufactured model of the same tow bar.  That one is still working fine (no backing up any more) and now has about 70,000 miles on it.  Both our toads have been in the 5000 pound range so this bar will handle a good size vehicle and last a long time.  The weight limit is 6000 pounds for the Sterling.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#3 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

We tow our CRV with a Blue Ox.  Don't know if it's the "best" but it has worked fine for us.

#4 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Blue Ox and Roadmaster seem to be the most popular ones out there. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

I have had my Blue Ox Aventa II for eleven full timing years.

Had it serviced three or four times in Quartzsite by Blue Ox. Used to be free but costs $25 now as I recall.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#5 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I think Roadmaster has the best service.  The last time I checked, they service their products at no charge.

#6 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies I am probably going with the Blue Ox set up.

Talk about bad deals working out in unexpected ways. I got lightly clipped on the right rear of my Civic. Put it in the shop last week and when I went to rent a car they had a 2013 CRV available. The CRV was on my short list to replace the Civic so guess what car I rented. I have decided that I like it better than I thought I would. Nothing like a 6 day test drive. Now looking to find a good deal on one.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users