3 replies to this topic

#1 Elkhartjim

Elkhartjim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

I replaced my Goodyear tires yesterday with Michelin thru the FMCA program. I hope I get as good service from the Michelins as I got from the Goodyears.

The best money I have ever spent was on the Centramatic balance system. Oh my! The motorhome rides smoother than ever and before the Goodyear naysayers start I'll tell you I first drove away with the Michelin tires spin balanced. It drove terrible and I mean teeth rattling bad. Turned around and while talking with the store manager a truck driver chimed in "that I needed the Centramatic system".

When I told him it's a motorhome, he grimaced and said "that's still what you need".

The manager made me a deal I couldn't resist and I'm extremely pleased with Centramatic.

Nuff said...

Jim
08 Fleetwood Bounder DP

Jim S
2008 38S Fleetwood Bounder DP

Houston, TX area

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Jim,

I agree-- have them on my coach.  They end out of balance, as they account for imbalance in everything:

Tire

Wheel

Hub

Brake drum or disk

Basically all rotating masses are balanced.

The only other variable is run-out.  If the tires don't have excessive run-out, you are good to go.

As fewer and fewer shops can do a  good "on the vehicle spin balance", finding a permanent solution makes sense. 

The cost must be factored over the  life of the motorhome (or motorhomes if you move them to a new one), NOT just that set of tires.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Been using Centramatics for 12 years.

#4 KenBrown

KenBrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I agree. I had them on my older coach and did not take them off,  What a bad idea.  Will not do that again.

I just got a new set for my new coach and will install next week with new Michelin tires, FMCA advantage program is  a great help, saved over $150 per tire.

Since balancing cost $30 or more per tire the centermatics are not a bad deal. Yes the cost a little more up front but save in the long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users