Jump to content

Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Create a sign-in account to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you can create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in.
FIRST-TIME USERS: For your login to carry over to the Forums, you must first sign in on the FMCA.com main site, log out, and then sign in again.

- - - - -

Property Tax On Motorhomes In Indiana?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rich746



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

I live in Indiana and I am buying a class A motorhome next year.


Do I have to pay property taxes on it every year just like my house?

  • 0

#2 DickandLois


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Location:Where ever the wheels stop ?

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:37 AM



Welcome to FMCA!


The way each state taxes a motorthome or not depends on the state of residence. Some tax personal property like RV's on value each year as they depreciate.


Other states just charge a registration fee.


So one needs to look at there state and local tax laws to know how its handled, to fine the best way to address the issue.



  • 0

#3 lylefikse


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Location:Iowa

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

I talked to a full timer the other day that was from Indiana.  He said exactly what you said. He paid property tax on the motorhome each year just like his house.  His motorhome was even more than the house.  Since they were full timers, they changed residency to South Dakota.  No state income tax.

  • 0

Lyle and Linda Fikse

2007 Damon Tuscany 4072

2013 Lincoln MKS

#4 rossboyer


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Location:Anderson, Indiana

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

No, tax on an Indiana residence's motorhome is an excise tax paid when you register the motorhome and obtain your vehicle license plate. The tax is based on book value and goes down about 10% each year. Our 2006 Fleetwood Expedition tax and license was $81.75 in February 2013.
  • 0

Ross & Melanie Boyer

2006 Fleetwood Expedition 37U

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000




#5 dimitri19



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Our property tax is so high on Long Island more people each year are moving away so they can live in an affordable home. Paying nearly $10,000 in taxes is insane. So we just got a hold of a nassau county tax grievance company to help lower them.

  • 0

#6 lmsooter


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Location:St. Augustine, FL
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Welcome to the FMCA forums.


Check this website http://codes.lp.find.../incode/6/6/5.1 It will give you information on determining the value of RVs, the classification and tax rate.  It is an excise tax and decreases each year.

  • 0
Leary and Sandra Sooter
2006 Alfa See Ya
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
Roadmaster Falcon 2 Towbar
Brake Buddy Vantage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users