Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Analysis Lead Abnormal Allison 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlbarkleyii

rlbarkleyii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Just got the results of oil analysis on Allison 2000 tranny oil. All was within normal limits except lead which was slightly abnormal. normal was <50, my reading was 58. This unit is new to me and this is the first sample for me after aprox 10K miles. Plan on shortening the next sample interval, and re-test. Analysis company indicated lead may come from clutches. 

Anyone experianced this type of abnormalty?

2002 Winnibago Journey 32", Diesel pusher, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 4.56 Rear Ratio, Freightliner XC Chassis, Onan 6.5KW  propane, pulling Toad; 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto, Roadmaster Baseplate, and towbar, Remco Driveshaft Disconnect.

Off and On again Fulltimer.

"KEEP THE WIND TO YOUR BACK, THE SUN TO YOUR FACE, AND THE GREASY SIDE DOWN"

#2 J79Engine

J79Engine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

WoW,

I did not know the RV industry was doing this type testing on MH transmissions. We have been doing oil testing for many years on aircraft engines which varies depending on what is found in the sample.

The sample can drive maintenance to remove the engine and will pin point the cause in most cases or at least tell you if it is a bearing or carbon seal. The oil should be drained and flushed at least once before ( a few hundred miles between oil samples) retesting to make sure the level of lead is maintaining the above normal level or if it is increasing. The second test once done will tell you how quickly you need to get it fixed.

This is how we handle the oil testing in the Military Aviation industry so the same should work for your problem solving.

#3 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

rlbarkleyii, you may want to check out www.irv2.com  It is a forum that has an entire thread on Allison transmissions, including a section that is authored by a retired Allison engineer who helped develop Transynd.  He can answer any technical questions you have.

#4 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Actually, Tom is the "go to" guy here on the FMCA Forum as well: http://community.fmc...luids-engineer/

You can certainly PM (Private Message) him if you have a specific question.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#5 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

The first thing to do is sample aging in say 1000 miles. We want to see if the lead levels in crease or what is going on. I would not change the oil till you get a second sample as what you need is more than one sample on the oil. Oil analysis is basically trend analysis.

I wouldn’t get to worried the lead is only 8 ppm over the normal if it was 30 -60 over I would be concerned. I will be interested in what your next  report says. When you change your fluid I recommend you use Transend.

I use to work in an oil lab doing Spectrometric oil analysis.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a Honda Civic on a Acmey tow dolley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users