2 replies to this topic

#1 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I found a couple of screws on the floor under the dinette the other day. I got to looking and they had pulled out of the base the support leg screws into. My first thought was to just get bigger screws but decided to try something a little different.

I turned the table top over so I could work on it and marked the location with 2 in masking tape. I then took out the other screws. I then took a 3/8 drill bit and marked how deep to drill (using one of the screws as a guide) wrapped the drill bit with about 5 or 6 layers of tape. This acts as a stop so you don’t drill through the table top.

I then mixed up enough JB weld to fill the holes. I scuffed the back of the bracket and the “wood” cleaned every thing with acetone. After filling the holes I coated the back of the bracket with JB weld and located it to the surface. I then set the screws in the epoxy. I turned them in so there wouldn’t be any voids or gaps. I used a little weight on the bracket to hold it in place and formed any excess into a fillet seal around the bracket. After it was nearly set up I removed the tape and cleaned any excess off with a sharp putty knife.

Well we will see how long this holds up.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#2 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Bill,

JB Weld does a good job on many items, but I never used it to repair a table before. LOL

I have drilled out the area and placed a piece of wooden dowel in the hole with some wood glue. I use hardwood dowels for the job.

Then drill a pilot hole for the old screws. The last one lasted for years and was still good when we traded in for a newer coach.

OH, just in case someone has this problem, you can use a wooden match stick or something like it and some wood glue for a good fix until a stop the hardware store.

Rich.

#3 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Rich, I had thought about doing it that way but it would have meant a trip to Home Depot. I also thought about welding the bracket to a 4X6 plate to spread the load out. We will see how long this fix last.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users