Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Ice And Sleet Storm In Texas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well I am glad I was watching the weather this week. I was in Canton Texas when they started to predict this storm. I was suppose to stay until Sunday but decided to go home on Thursday morning. This was a good plan. I made it home with just a little rain/freezing rain. We got hit with sleet and freezing rain over night and today many of the roads are closed. I35 is closed going north. The news pictures look like something from the far north not the Dallas Fort Worth area. I am GLAD to be sitting at home watching it not trying to drive in it.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#2 teamrope

teamrope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

I wouldn't want to drive in it either. Glad you beat it home.

2005 Coachmen Cross Country 376 DS

2004 Mercury Marauder (Hers)

2003 Mercury Marauder (Mine)

1996 F250 Extended cab 4X4 7.3 Powerstroke/5 Speed

2013 Lowe SS 210 pontoon Boat.

9333566123_cf857b2224.jpg

#3 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

We sure enjoy watching the weather from where we are!

Smug and Warm

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#4 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Our Rally here in Burleson began Last Thursday. We Arrived here Wednesday.Still here because the roads in the country are not cleared.

Bill, Tom & Louise wish your were here. :D

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#5 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would have liked to come by but we were scheduled to be in Canton till Sunday. We were at a rally with the Roughnecks another FMCA group. That got cut short because of the bad weather coming in. Maybe next time.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#6 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

For obvious reasons, once we hit the Rio Grande Valley in the fall I have a hard time heading north until late spring!

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#7 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

We got to Arlington / Dallas KOA yesterday afternoon and when we got close we see lots of cars and small trucks in the ditch, some of them backwards.  Needless to say the toad needs a bath before it could be used.  

paint 2

Ray & Hana Huffman

2006 Holiday Rambler, Ambassador PDQ 40' 10" 

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD used as toad

2012 Cadillac SRX4

1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille

2009 7,000 lbs Carhauler Trailer

#8 AndyShane

AndyShane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

I had airline school near DFW starting Saturday, positioned myself in Arlington Thursday night.  Six miles as the crow flies, more than an hour's drive, even after 48 hours.  

One glitch, getting ready to go home: I had to climb onto the roof and kneel on the 2" layer of ice atop the rig, lean over the fairings, to break the long slabs on my toppers before closing the slides (about 53 linear feet).  'Like tossing two or three complete "ice" encyclopedia sets to the ground, all said and done.

Those who aren't up to gymnastics like that might be well-served to retract slides when it snows/sleets less than a week or two from a planned departure, in frigid weather (the manual says retract the slideouts whenever it snows, but let's temper such advice with a lil' common sense).

Tilting the rig nose up or down is critical, in conditions like that.  Today, as the weather warms, it is in the driveway -- we have a 72 hour grace period -- with its butt hoisted aloft.  Water has poured off the front cap all day!

2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester44 III C13 Caterpillar 525hp with Silverleaf system; using a Roadmaster 2000-1 to pull a Prius, or a CargoCraft Dragster with a Lexus IS250C inside.
Defected from iRV2 in March 2012 after that forum suffered an outbreak of political bullying; once again contributing there as RVNeophytes2 effective Feb 6, 2013.

#9 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Well, The folks up north like to share, you know. So some cold, Ice and snow sounded like a good idea; so you might have a white Christmas.

Rich.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users