9 replies to this topic

#1 HarveyWhite

HarveyWhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

While servicing the gen set found that the conduit that the main power wires go though has broken and when you roll it back in it is flexing right there so a real good chance of a short is present. has any one else had this happen and if so what kind of conduit can you use that will take the flexing.

I'm thinking on calling Tiffin maybe they have had a upgrade.

#2 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Harvey, There are a  number of different Flexible conduit suppliers. Making different styles and sizes used for different applications.

Look up flexible conduit on the web, then check the code for use in mobile applications.

Rich.

#3 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Harvey, Can you post a picture of where the cable come out of the gen set. I have several ideas but need to see it first.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#4 HarveyWhite

HarveyWhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Good Morning guy's I'm going to get a pic of this and will post it. the conduit didn't pull out of the gen set, it makes a loop towards the rear when the gen is rolled back in it gets in to a kink. I called Tiffin yesterday the tech told me he had seen this before to just try and move it in a manner for it not to kink anymore.

I really feel the cable was too short to begin with so we will get a picture and some great input and get the solution in progress.

I sure enjoy this forum and the great folks on here.

Harvey

#5 ticat900

ticat900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

If you can't tape the split area and tie it in a position where it wont kink then I suggest you cut the cable and install a junction box and then a new longer one as required with conduit wire from junction box to gen set.

#6 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Harvey,

I am assuming your are speaking of the AC cable. If so here are my thoughts.

The cable is attached to the frame and into the Gen Set. Therefore to lengthen the cable you might need to put a water proof box in the location where the cable is attached.

Put a 90 degree water proof connector on the gen set and add enough new water tight conduit to give you the correct length as to be able to move the gen without putting it in a bind. You will also need a longer cable (12-2/ground or matching what is there now) from the gen to the box. When you put it in a loop be sure that it doesn't rub or snag on something else.

I hope this helps. I can see it in my mind and hope I have presented it properly.

Herman

Whitewright, TEXAS

Rally in The Pasture

#7 ticat900

ticat900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yes, Herman what I had previously suggested.

#8 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Cat, Great minds......

Herman

Whitewright, TEXAS

Rally in The Pasture

#9 HarveyWhite

HarveyWhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Good answers, kinda what I was thinking, for this cable & conduit they ran the conduit has a grey plastic covering metal flex, and it's completely into so the metal is rubbing on the wire's scary!!!

I am going to work on it this weekend sure don't need any extra aggravation, I am already married. lol again sure appreciate the respons.I am going to take some before & after shots to post.

Harvey

#10 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

When you purchase the wire, be sure to purchase multi-strand wire.  Ordinary wire with a single copper conductor will break when bent back and forth repeatedly.  You don't want the standard 12-2 w/ground or 10/3 w/ground which is household wiring.  You haven't said what model your generator is but if it supplies dual 30A circuits like ours, you would want #10 wire and each wire (hot(s), neutral and ground) should be multiple fine strands of copper, not a single large copper wire.  A wire made of multiple strands of fine wire is designed to be flexible. 

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users